Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] On the "World" and "Galaxy" repositories (Read 1313 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] On the "World" and "Galaxy" repositories

So I recently enabled the multilib repository in the pacman.conf file in order to get Wine (which, I learned, is only obtainable from said repository). After doing a pacman -Syu to sync all the repositories, I started getting a few error messages in the output, and while they did not prevented me from getting Wine up and running, I'm somewhat worried about these:

[alan@artix ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: at-spi2-core: local (2.26.0+4+g7070583-1) is newer than world (2.26.0-2)
warning: glib-networking: local (2.54.1-1) is newer than world (2.54.0-1)
warning: gtk-update-icon-cache: local (3.22.25-1) is newer than world (3.22.24+80+g6a4be7f56b-1)
warning: gtk3: local (3.22.25-1) is newer than world (3.22.24+80+g6a4be7f56b-1)
warning: harfbuzz: local (1.6.3-1) is newer than world (1.6.0-1)
warning: mesa: local (17.2.3-2) is newer than world (17.2.3-1)
warning: pango: local (1.40.13-1) is newer than world (1.40.12-1)
 there is nothing to do

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, the packages in the custom World and Galaxy repositories included by the Artix folks (I figure in order to keep the OpenRC utils working properly) are somewhat out of date in relation to the official repositories, and that's making some packages conflict somehow? Could this become nocive at some point? Is there a way to fix it?

Thank you all in advance.

Re: On the "World" and "Galaxy" repositories

Reply #1
We build a little after new versions appear upstream, but not automatically because we audit updates for possible new systemd intrusions. All builds go to our testing repos first, which are used by the devs and knowledgeable users for, well, testing. Once we verify good working order, they are moved to stable.
The "local newer than..." message will disappear once those packages catch up with your local and shouldn't be in any way nocive.