Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Makepkg says I don't have permissions (Read 4975 times) previous topic - next topic

Makepkg says I don't have permissions

Hi I installed Artix on this machine just a little while ago and I ran into this problem. I tried first installing yay. I followed the instructions on useing git and cding into the directory. Then I tried makepkg and it just gave me this error
==> ERROR: You do not have write permission for the directory $BUILDDIR (/home/hostname/yay).
I also tried installing the brave browser and the same error occured. I've looked at other forums and the usual response is  do you have the base-devel package installed which I do. So I was wondering if I could get some help with this?

Re: Makepkg says I don't have permissions

Reply #1
I have makepkg build dir in /tmp/makepkg (I want not stress my ssd too much)...
If this happens me,i use just
Code: [Select]
chmod 777 /tmp/makepkg

But be aware with home. You build it not as user yourself (hostname) , so that's why makepkg have no permission in home folder (home folder have no permissions for another users).if you need more  space, move it to home (/home/yay) and 'chmod 777 /home/yay' .

Reply #2
ok thank you lets see if this works.

Reply #3
it didn't seem to work I might have to re-install

Reply #4
can you not set your build dir to tmp/yay as usually?

you an still use chmod -R  777 /home/hostname/yay , but i like this not , because you have to set 777 for home and your hostname. tmp is much more appropriate.  if this doesn't fail either, then the problem will be somewhere else...

Reply #5
There is definatly something wrong somewhere else some pacman packages don't work either so i think my install is botched thank you for the help though.