Skip to main content
Topic: Migrating from Gentoo (Read 1365 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Migrating from Gentoo

Reply #15

No harm in modifying pacman.conf is there?
If necessary, probably not. I am cautious to enable third party repos on a permanent basis though. That's just my take on it.  Don't want to stray too far from home.  ;)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #16
Maybe the best thing to start with Artix is to use what's there and to do things how they are done here.

I mean, I use rsyslog on my Gentoo machines because my servers (Ubuntu) use rsyslog. Before, I had metalog. And I didn't look very often at the logs of my desktop machines ;-) So why not simply use syslog-ng. Or metalog (which is present by default).

Same for Chrome. You guys have the "ungoogled" Chromium, so why not use this.

Maybe the better apoproach is to see how far I can get with the default stuff.

Reply #17
Maybe the best thing to start with Artix is to use what's there and to do things how they are done here.

I mean, I use rsyslog on my Gentoo machines because my servers (Ubuntu) use rsyslog. Before, I had metalog. And I didn't look very often at the logs of my desktop machines ;-) So why not simply use syslog-ng. Or metalog (which is present by default).

Same for Chrome. You guys have the "ungoogled" Chromium, so why not use this.

Maybe the better apoproach is to see how far I can get with the default stuff.

A very sensible approach, and if you cannot get satisfaction from the default software, then try other options.

Reply #18
I use rsyslog from the AUR, it's more minimal yet is easily sufficient for a home pc, and I think it's easier to configure how I like although that could just be me knowing how to use it already! It only rarely gets new versions so isn't any trouble especially with an AUR helper. It does work reliably from the AUR anyway if you did decide to use that.

Reply #19
Well, maybe, the Artix main repository maintainers decide to add it. Would be nice; as you said, there are not much updates, and there's already an OpenRC init script from Gentoo.

Well, however … I think I'll use syslog-ng or metalog for now.