Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [Solved] Can't get dunst to work with dwm (Read 1802 times) previous topic - next topic

[Solved] Can't get dunst to work with dwm

I've been wanting to use a notification daemon to get notifications for apps (e.g. Spotify) but it doesn't send the notifications for changing songs although I have enabled notifications in its settings. (I am using dwm window manager)

Also, dunst is running and notify-send works perfectly fine but no other apps send any notifications. I tried to follow the arch wiki and made a file called org.freedesktop.Notifications.service under
Code: [Select]
/use/share/dbus-1/services
with
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.Notifications.service
Exec=/usr/bin/dunst
But it still isn't working as intended. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Can't get dunst to work with dwm

Reply #1
Maybe dwm needs to be run in dbus session. If you use startx, use
exec dbus-launch dwm
ARMtix

Reply #3
An update: I have bpytop installed and it had a new update and gave a notification. But no other apps are doing that

Reply #4
Hey, I tried it and it still isn't sending any notifications. I tried letting a song end and still it didn't show any notification
Maybe the app doesn't show notifications itself? Did you try notification managers?
Also, are there any messages in application log when notification should appear?
ARMtix

Reply #5
Maybe the app doesn't show notifications itself? Did you try notification managers?
Also, are there any messages in application log when notification should appear?
Thanks, the application itself wasn't showing any notifications. I tried it with qbittorrent and it worked!!  :D