Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED]Suspected latest kernel [linux-5.9.10.artix1-1] breaks GRUB (Read 567 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED]Suspected latest kernel [linux-5.9.10.artix1-1] breaks GRUB

Hello everyone.
I'll try to keep it as short as possible with the most info to help figuring this out. (So far i've been loving Artix)

Almost a month ago, i did the usual rolling distro stuff, which is running your package manager to update. This however, broke some things. For example, upon booting, grub would get stuck at "Booting Linux Linux" (instead of the usual "Booting Artix Linux)". Luckily i had a backup with Timeshift and BTRFS, so nothing of value was lost.
However, there are some packages that need updating (i.e. cryptomator - bugfix for Cinnamon). And of course, i'm too lazy to manually exclude the kernel from updating in the pacman config. Moreover is the fact that i'm not 100% sure if the kernel is even the culprit.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: So as it turns out it sudo pacman -Syu did not generate a new mkinitcpio. Therefore the old one was corrupted and did not load the initial ramdisk. This was quickly resolved by simply reinstalling both the kernel and mkinitcpio. Also the kernel modules and related. I'm guessing this is a bit my fault, since i just carelessly updated my system without knowing the proper steps.