Skip to main content
Topic: Poor Gaming Performance on Artix Linux s6 KDE Install (Read 392 times) previous topic - next topic

Poor Gaming Performance on Artix Linux s6 KDE Install

Hello all,

I have just installed the KDE s6 installation of Artix Linux on a new desktop that I built and I am having some issues with what seems like the graphics card. I get subpar performance in games on it in both X and wayland sessions and have the correct drivers installed. I have been testing it with subnautica on steam. I'm sure something is just not configured properly, but I can't figure out what. I have direct rendering and DRM enabled correctly (at least I do believe) and have the amdgpu module set to early boot on my system.

When I try the same system with chimeraos, the performance is as should be expected and is massively different than my Artix install. This is on the standard Linux package with an amd rx 6800xt.

Here is a list of lspci and pacman -Q. Please let me know if there is anything else I should post.

Thank you very much for any help!

Re: Poor Gaming Performance on Artix Linux s6 KDE Install

Reply #1
The two things that are going to matter the most here are the kernel and mesa versions. What does your Chimera OS install have for those?

Reply #2
For the kernel: Linux chimeraos 6.1.27-1-lts #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon, 01 May 2023 18:18:27 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
For Mesa:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To also test, I booted into EndeavourOS from the usb iso to see if gaming would also have this issue and it doesn't. So, I'm going to be trying different artix desktop isos to see if I get a different result just to see if it's a different configuration issue.

Reply #3
The current kernel version is 6.4.2 which is quite different. I'd suggest trying the lts kernel first (6.1.37 currently) before hoping around different isos.

Reply #4
Interestingly, I have found that if I don't load the Plasma session that I have pre-installed and go to a tty and load sway directly, I don't have these weird issues. It is only after I load the Plasma session, that I have this issue, and it persists even if I log out of the plasma session and load another sway session. It seems like some kind of setting is set when I log into a plasma session. The graphics run fine if I load sway, then load plasma without logging out of sway, but as soon as I logout and back into sway, I have this issue.

What could this be?

EDIT: Actually scratch this, this only appears to happen some of the time. I just tried this again and it didn't work again. I'll try the lts kernel

EDIT2: It looks like it may have been the kernel. I switched to the lts-kernel and games are running fine now. Kind of crazy something as simple as that was the problem! Thanks for your help with this @Dudemanguy. Needless to say, I'll be leaving chimeros on the machine as well to play games in case later lts kernels adopt this problem.

Reply #5
You could consider reporting the issue to amd's gitlab. Or maybe someone else reported it already for you. Unfortunately, it seems like the kernel has been having more regressions lately.

Reply #6
I have never reported an issue like this, but I will look into it. It doesn't look like anyone has reported it, so it would probably be good for me to at least bring it up. Thank you for all of your help!