Skip to main content
Topic: s6-scripts gets stuck on update on freshly installed iso (Read 535 times) previous topic - next topic

s6-scripts gets stuck on update on freshly installed iso

This is a continuation of another thread i hijacked (sorry).
After installing artix-xfce-s6-20210101-x86_64.iso (01.01.2021) from artixlinux.org/isos, trying to bring the System up to date, s6-rc-db-update-hook as requirement of s6-scripts gets stuck. To be more precise, the Part with
Code: [Select]
 s6-rc-update /etc/s6/rc/compiled-$timestamp

As suggested by @Dudemanguy, executing
timestamp=$(date +%s)
s6-rc-compile /etc/s6/rc/compiled-$timestamp /etc/s6/sv
gets stuck too and after a few tries complains that it is "unable to lock /run/s6-rc and /run/s6-rc/compiled: no such file or directory". But they do exist.

Any help would be appreciated, but i'm a noob yet with s6.

Re: s6-scripts gets stuck on update on freshly installed iso

Reply #1
A couple of ways around this would be to do the full update during the installation process while you are in chroot. s6-rc shouldn't be running then and it should be able to ignore any live database updates. You can also use the weekly isos which should not have this problem. As for s6-rc-update seemingly taking forever, I was able to confirm that behavior on an old VM install I had lying around. Whether this is a bug in how services were defined/changed or a bug in s6-rc is hard to say at this point. I would need to do a test case with heavy debug output (on my todo list). It's also worth noting that skalibs/execline/s6/etc. all had a major upgrade between versions at this point so perhaps that is actually the culprit here.

s6-rc-compile being stuck forever shouldn't happen either however I was able to confirm on my test case that the database was created anyway. Thus, I was able to proceed as usual to fix the database and all was fine (full instructions below).

# timestamp=$(date +%s)
# s6-rc-compile /etc/s6/rc/compiled-$timestamp /etc/s6/sv  #if this hangs, you can just kill it after awhile, check that the database exists anyway and proceed
# ln -sf /etc/s6/rc/compiled-$timestamp /etc/s6/rc/compiled/compiled && mv -f /etc/s6/rc/compiled/compiled /etc/s6/rc

In any case, this is good justification for updating the stable isos.

Re: s6-scripts gets stuck on update on freshly installed iso

Reply #2
Ok, thanks, i try the weekly.

btw: same problem on the stable lxde-version.
btw2: i don't think kwindowsystem, wayland and llvmlibs are neccessary packages on xfce-/lxde-isos?