Skip to main content
Topic: Add s6 service for mssql-server (Read 1040 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Add s6 service for mssql-server

Reply #1
Also maybe even fix:

"sudo /opt/mssql/bin/mssql-conf setup"

because it relies on "/opt/mssql/lib/mssql-conf/mssql-conf.py" which in turn runs "/opt/mssql/lib/mssql-conf/mssqlconfhelper.py" which requires "systemctl" and "journalctl" to be installed in order for it to complete.

Thanks again  ;D

Reply #2
Hi,

We  provide services only for packages which are either in Arch or Artix repositories. What is in AUR is not our concern, neither is for Microsoft and other proprietary software.

What is the reason you need mssql for?

There are other SQL DBs available, like SQLite, MariaDB and PostgreSQL.

Reply #3
Hi,

We  provide services only for packages which are either in Arch or Artix repositories. What is in AUR is not our concern, neither is for Microsoft and other proprietary software.

What is the reason you need mssql for?

There are other SQL DBs available, like SQLite, MariaDB and PostgreSQL.

First of all, I'm only asking for the systemd service file be ported over to s6 (and if the maintainers were kind enough to fix the mssql-conf setup file to work with s6 then that'd be awesome).

As for why I need it, then I politely say that that's none of your business...

Reply #4
I know what you are asking for, and I have already provided the answer.

Btw, you ought to be more polite with people around and not rude.

My question was done, so to assist you as a guidance.

Reply #5
So any updates?

Reply #6
As linuxer already wrote, we only provide init script support for packages in official repos. We can't possibly spend resources on every single AUR package out there. This case is made more complicated by mssql-server being a weird proprietary package, so the chances of it ever being imported in our repos is minuscule. You are, of course, always welcome to write your own init scripts if you need too.

Reply #7
Right @Dudemanguy

Or the SQL server can be migrated to another one that is supported.

Just a note: MongoDB was removed from Linux Distributions, for the same reason, it's licensing terms.

Reply #8
@OP: I'm not sure if you are aware, but your original topic title comes off as imperative and demanding. Even if anyone would be interested in supporting non-Free (as in Freedom) software in a GNU/Linux distribution, they would likely be put off by such a rude way of requesting it.

Furthermore, as others have put it, AUR (=Arch User Repository) is not supported. It is a global repository of packages not maintained by Artix but by Arch Linux users, which is a very wide definition.

Also as others have said: you are welcome to create your own support for that package and publish it.

Reply #9
If you wish to create this init script / service / package and you do your own research and will need some help than people might help you, since they will see that you put at least some work into the issue.
But if you only wish for someone else to do all the work for you than you will get the same reply: not supported.