Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Does This Package Needed For Nvidia Drivers? (Read 841 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Does This Package Needed For Nvidia Drivers?

So basically, I installed my system, I installed my nvidia 390 drivers, everything is happy and nice.

But why there isn't "lib32-nvidia-390xx-utils" in the repository?
Is there a way to add 32-bit support to my nvidia drivers without using this package?

If I try to install "lib32-nvidia-utils" it installs it for the latest version of the driver, but I want the 390 driver.

You can also see "lib32-nvidia-390xx-utils" package in AUR .

Re: Does This Package Needed For Nvidia Drivers?

Reply #1
and for which reason we should have it in our repo?
32-bit driver of nvidia in 64-bit system will never works. who need it due steam or wine, can install it from AUR.

Reply #2
Oh, I am new to Artix and Arch so I am not sure how to install it from AUR, anyways, thanks!

Reply #3
if your are new here, you're best friend is wiki.archlinux.org and wiki.artixlinux.org
because our distribution are for advanced users, not for beginners, which want  just clicking in GUI.
you need learn some basically things...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_helpers we provide trizen and pamac (install it with pacman -S)

Reply #4
because our distribution are for advanced users, not for beginners, which want  just clicking in GUI.
Well, there is clicking in GUI, but that doesn't help when something goes wrong (often caused by user experimentation), and then one needs to get to know the system being used better.

This is not exclusive to Artix, and I would say not even exclusive to GNU/Linux, more generally. The thing with other OSes is that fixing things in them either is impossible (due to closed source and being at the whim of corporations) or requires specialized, often non-free (as in beer) or non-Free (as in speech) tools. With GNU/Linux there is much better documentation for most common uses, but one needs to a) know where and how to look for it, and b) be willing to read it. Sometimes it is necessary to examine or modify scripts or even source code.

There is also this problem mentioned in one YouTube video, namely that of telling newcomers to GNU/Linux that "their favorite Windows apps can be made to work under Linux", when that is an advanced topic and not something for beginners. Better for newcomers to get familiar with how things are done natively under Unix and GNU/Linux, and then build from there.

Reply #5
Well, there is clicking in GUI, but that doesn't help when something goes wrong (often caused by user experimentation), and then one needs to get to know the system being used better.

This is not exclusive to Artix, and I would say not even exclusive to GNU/Linux, more generally. The thing with other OSes is that fixing things in them either is impossible (due to closed source and being at the whim of corporations) or requires specialized, often non-free (as in beer) or non-Free (as in speech) tools. With GNU/Linux there is much better documentation for most common uses, but one needs to a) know where and how to look for it, and b) be willing to read it. Sometimes it is necessary to examine or modify scripts or even source code.

There is also this problem mentioned in one YouTube video, namely that of telling newcomers to GNU/Linux that "their favorite Windows apps can be made to work under Linux", when that is an advanced topic and not something for beginners. Better for newcomers to get familiar with how things are done natively under Unix and GNU/Linux, and then build from there.

The interesting thing is Artix seems to have more users who don't have experience with Arch or generally GNU/Linux at all. Maybe Artix is 1) Arch based, 2) systemd-free, 3) it has live ISOs and a Calamares installer(aka clicking installer). That makes Artix look cool?  :)

I also saw some Manjaro users complained in EOS forum that EOS doesn't include pamac by default. Hard to please everyone...

Reply #6
I also saw some Manjaro users complained in EOS forum that EOS doesn't include pamac by default. Hard to please everyone...

Pamac the package manager that tries to reinvent the wheel and fails in every respect at least tkpacman works well. lol