Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] How to remove NTP synchronisation ? (Read 1420 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] How to remove NTP synchronisation ?

Hello and thank you for this beautiful distro.
 I have been using Artix along with Windows.
I have been using XFCE - Openrc Artix, hardened kernel.
 How to remove network synchronisation of time ?
Which packages should I remove ?
I want to synchronise with bios, not with network.
 Thank you.
/etc/conf.d/hwclock
Greenwich Mean Time).  If that clock is set to the local time, then
# set CLOCK to "local".  Note that if you dual boot with Windows, then
# you should set it to "local".
clock="local"

Should I make some more changes ?

Re: How to remove NTP synchronisation ?

Reply #1
Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Qs ntp

Re: How to remove NTP synchronisation ?

Reply #2
I suppose just setting the parameter mentioned by you will suffice. There is no need to disable ntpd.

The fact is, hwclock start script and ntp daemon do different things. hwclock is called twice: once during the boot and once during the shutdown. While booting, it reads the system time from BIOS and adjusts it according to your timezone settings, if needed. During the shutdown, it stores the current system clock value back to BIOS.

ntpd, on the other hand, synchronizes your current system time with different time servers, according to your timezone settings. It's a very convenient thing, keeps your time correct in case your system clock tends to be fast or slow. But you can always delete the ntpd package via pacman or just disable the ntp daemon:

Code: [Select]
rc-service ntpd stop
rc-update delete ntpd

When you change the 'clock' parameter from 'UTC' to 'local' and then reboot, Linux tends to store the wrong parameter back to BIOS (you system clock will be set to UTC), and you have to adjust it. I used to have my Linux installations alongside with Windows, and while distrohopping, I was to correct my system clock after each new installation. Now I have only a couple of Linuxes on my laptop, and I happily set my clock to UTC and forgot about time adjustments. BTW, you can tell Windows that your system clock is set to UTC, you need to change a key in the registry. There is a recipe for that somewhere in Arch Wiki.

Re: [SOLVED] How to remove NTP synchronisation ?

Reply #3
Thank you. I was afraid that Arch is coming with some sort of NTP, but there is none.