Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Openbox Login Issue (Read 1175 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Openbox Login Issue

Hello,
I just installed the 2021-07-28 ISO LXQT/runit version.  At the Artix login screen, the option for Openbox  locks up the screen when selected or login.  I had to push the power button on my pc to restart the computer.  I have no problem starting Artix via LXQT session at the login screen.  Would you let me know how to get Openbox started from the login screen?  Thanks.

Re: Openbox Login Issue

Reply #2
Hello,
The Openbox probably runs fine but since it is only window manager and is not properly configured what you might see is just blank screen.
You can try pressing RMB (Right Mouse Button) to see if the menu will show up.

Openbox does not contain panels, application enus and many things you know from DEs (Desktop Environments).
It is up to you how you configure it, what programs you use, what functions you will grant it.

Check the wiki.

Reply #3
Thank a lot for your quick responses.  Sorry for the long post below, since I'm very green on linux.

I read the Openbox instructions earlier, but I wasn't sure what to do.  The one thing that I managed to do was to edit Openbox's rc.xml file  to fix the inactive the min/max/close buttons on the Titlebar right after I first logon to LXQt.

When I right clicked the screen next to the Artix login screen, a menu panel appeared but I couldn't activate any of the options from the menu.  When I right clicked again, another menu panel appeared, also with inactive mouse functions.  This was the same mouse that I've been using to log into the LXQt sessions.  After I replaced the mouse,  I was able to get secondary panels when clicking the first menu panel, but I could go no further.  However, I was able to logoff without having to do a hard shutdown with this new mouse.

In the LXQt Configuration Center, I noticed that there's an Openbox option.  In the  .config folder, there's also an openbox folder (which I copied over from /etc/xdg/ to fix the inactive buttons mentioned earlier, along with the LXQt folder.  If I make changes to the Openbox files per the wiki:

1. Does this make the Openbox option at the Artix login screen active, i.e., I'd see a black window post login, and active menu options when right clicking the screen? 
2. Do these changes affect the menu settings in LXQt and my own configurations for an Openbox login session.
3. Does this make the LXQt login option disappear? 
4. Which file really controls the LXQt and Openbox options on the Artix login screen?

Thanks, again.

Reply #4
Thank a lot for your quick responses.  Sorry for the long post below, since I'm very green on linux.

I read the Openbox instructions earlier, but I wasn't sure what to do.  The one thing that I managed to do was to edit Openbox's rc.xml file  to fix the inactive the min/max/close buttons on the Titlebar right after I first logon to LXQt.

When I right clicked the screen next to the Artix login screen, a menu panel appeared but I couldn't activate any of the options from the menu.  When I right clicked again, another menu panel appeared, also with inactive mouse functions.  This was the same mouse that I've been using to log into the LXQt sessions.  After I replaced the mouse,  I was able to get secondary panels when clicking the first menu panel, but I could go no further.  However, I was able to logoff without having to do a hard shutdown with this new mouse.

In the LXQt Configuration Center, I noticed that there's an Openbox option.  In the  .config folder, there's also an openbox folder (which I copied over from /etc/xdg/ to fix the inactive buttons mentioned earlier, along with the LXQt folder.  If I make changes to the Openbox files per the wiki:

1. Does this make the Openbox option at the Artix login screen active, i.e., I'd see a black window post login, and active menu options when right clicking the screen? 
2. Do these changes affect the menu settings in LXQt and my own configurations for an Openbox login session.
3. Does this make the LXQt login option disappear? 
4. Which file really controls the LXQt and Openbox options on the Artix login screen?

Thanks, again.

You need to find out which login manager you're using. Could be lightdm/gdm/sddm/slim, etc. Each login manager can be configured to read configured sessions from different locations. Usually, it takes the default location, which is /usr/share/xsession/. You can find all configured sessions in your system there. For example, I use lightdm and only have two sessions in my system,

Code: [Select]
/usr/share/xsessions ยป ls -asl                                                                                          
total 16
4 drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Oct  2 17:20 .
4 drwxr-xr-x 207 root root 4096 Oct  6 17:09 ..
4 -rw-r--r--   1 root root  133 Oct  2 16:32 bspwm.desktop
4 -rw-r--r--   1 root root  132 Oct  2 16:32 sowm.desktop

The session files define how your DE/WM is started. In your case, you should find openbox.desktop file. "openbox-session" launches openbox WM for you. How it behaves depends on your ~/.config/openbox/{menu.xml, rc.xml}. How it looks depends on obconf and lxappearance.

Reply #5
II have sddm that came with the LXQt version that I downloaded. 

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!  I think I got it now.  :-)