Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution Support Request (Read 473 times) previous topic - next topic

Evolution Support Request

Good Morning All,

I have a client who is having issues with Evolution, that I can duplicate on my personal workstation.

Both of us are fully up to date. He's running XFCE.

a) Evolution is not printing HTML messages correctly. Formatting and spacing are all way off.

b) We want to suppress Evolution from printing headers and footers.

c) Evolution also prints attachments. We need this behavior to stop as it burns way too much ink.

d) Evolution's search feature only looks at subjects and addresses - not through the email body. We need the email body to be searched as well and custom searches have no such option.

e) One one of his system, Evolution opens thunderbird when he clicks on a web link for a webpage. System defaults are correct, and I've fixed stuff in dconf. Incorrect behavior remains. He was on Thunderbird but ported to Evolution.

Some of the posts I have read recommend using Gnome-Control-Center....which refuses to run on an XFCE desktop, returning a shell error. Perhaps most of our issues may be solvable if I can access gnome-control-center settings outside of running Gnome - which I will not run. I hate it, and my client, a windows convert....won't be able to use.

I am not afraid of reading, and have been sys-admining linux since 2004 (arch). I've gone through the arch wiki, and also the gnome wiki.

May I have some pointers, or how-to's or "...you can't do that in Evolution"...so I know to look for something other than Evolution.

Help, pointers, links, all appreciated. Google (DuckDuckGo) searches aren't turning up much of anything at all - except to run gnome-control-center which won't run outside of Gnome Shell.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Dave

Edit: Gnome forums are of no help. There solve: "Run Gnome". Nope. Will not do that at all. We'll pay for a good replacement long before we do something that draconian.

Re: Evolution Support Request

Reply #1
Hello,

First to clarify, I only glanced at Evolution for a moment.

For printing Evolution is including style file located at:
Code: [Select]
/usr/share/evolution/webkit/webview-print.css
Sadly, I did not find an option in Evolution itself to set what file should be used for printing (in general I did not see any option for printing in Preferences) and thus it seems this is the only supported way.

Than you need to tell pacman to NOT overwrite this file by editing /etc/pacman.conf and putting this filepath to NoUpgrade option there
Just run man and there is a good example:
Code: [Select]
man pacman.conf

For my quick tests I only used "Print to file" option.

If you need help modifying this style file, I can try but I am not expert either.

The other stuff feels to me more like feature requests for the future. (Which is weird I know)

Best regards.

Reply #2
Perhaps most of our issues may be solvable if I can access gnome-control-center settings outside of running Gnome

You might want to install dconf-editor, which is the Windows-registry-ish database most GNOME applications use to store their settings. There's both a GUI and a CLI with helpful tab completion.

Since I don't use an email client, I have idea where the settings might be stored/named (probably somewhere under the /org/gnome/ key).

Reply #3
e) One one of his system, Evolution opens thunderbird when he clicks on a web link for a webpage. System defaults are correct, and I've fixed stuff in dconf. Incorrect behavior remains. He was on Thunderbird but ported to Evolution.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Default_applications