Skip to main content
Topic: Replace eudev with system/udev? (Read 2242 times) previous topic - next topic

Replace eudev with system/udev?

Update today asks about replacing eudev with udev.  Can someone explain about this?
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -Syu
:: Replace eudev with system/udev? [Y/n]
:: Replace libeudev with system/libudev? [Y/n

Re: Replace eudev with system/udev?

Reply #1
From the chat:
Quote from: DudeManGuy
It's the same thing. The package just got renamed.
What was named "eudev" was actually udev built standalone from systemd sources already.
Later the actual eudev (the fork) will be added to the repos again if you want that. Maintaince was dropped for a while but someone picked it up again

Reply #2
Thanks, SGOrava.  I had no qualms about accepting the default but was curious.

Reply #3
sudo pacman -Syu
:: Replace eudev with system/udev? [Y/n]
:: Replace libeudev with system/libudev? [Y/n
Whenever pacman asks you this (provided you have set up Artix repositories correctly), it is perfectly safe to answer Y.

Reply #4
I was holding off on this, then today I tried it on my Z800 and now I can't even login in any tty. The system boots to the point where I'm provided with "login:" but after entering my username nothing happens...  :o

any ideas, boffins?

Reply #5
Check your logs for clues and errors, /var/log/pacman.log should have a record of other packages installed at the same time, I'd suspect something else caused that but who knows. You could see if you can login on another tty to get a shell, otherwise it's probably going to require chrooting in,  barring trying kernel commandline parameters, nomodeset for example. (Perhaps someone else will be able to add something more specific but for me that upgrade went without a hitch.)
Most problems from upgrading can be reversed by downgrading  ;D

Reply #6
I can't downgrade. and these were the only two packages upgraded as I held off on them to isolate them in case there was trouble.
I artix-chroot'd into it from an install usb, otherwise I can't do anything.
Attempting to install eudev and libeudev just gets recognized by the package manager as udev and libudev..  :o

Reply #7
You should have the packages in your cache, if not the Artix package archive would have them. From the look of it you won't need to deal with the lib32-udev conflict as you don't have that. Here's how I downgraded then upgraded again, just tested the procedure and it all went fine here:
$ cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg
$ ls |ag udev
$ sudo pacman -U eudev-249.7-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst libeudev-249.7-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst lib32-eudev-249.4-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
:: eudev and udev are in conflict. Remove udev? [y/N] y
:: libeudev and libudev are in conflict. Remove libudev? [y/N] y
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
lib32-eudev: /usr/lib32/libudev.so exists in filesystem (owned by lib32-udev)
lib32-eudev: /usr/lib32/libudev.so.1 exists in filesystem (owned by lib32-udev)
lib32-eudev: /usr/lib32/pkgconfig/libudev.pc exists in filesystem (owned by lib32-udev)
(failed, got to remove lib32-udev, you might not have this package installed, note '-Rdd' is a command to use with caution!)

$ sudo pacman -Rdd lib32-udev
$ sudo pacman -U eudev-249.7-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst libeudev-249.7-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst lib32-eudev-249.4-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
:: eudev and udev are in conflict. Remove udev? [y/N] y
:: libeudev and libudev are in conflict. Remove libudev? [y/N] y
(worked now, also hooks get run including mkinitcpio rebuilds - perhaps this part could be causing your problem somehow besides any changes to udev?)

Rebooted, still working fine.

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Replace eudev with system/udev? [Y/n] y
:: Replace lib32-eudev with lib32/lib32-udev? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libeudev with system/libudev? [Y/n] y

Packages (6) eudev-249.7-2 [removal]  lib32-eudev-249.4-2 [removal]  lib32-udev-250-1  libeudev-249.7-2 [removal]  libudev-250-2  udev-250-2

Re - upgraded, rebooted and it still works.

Reply #8
Thank you for your help, @########