Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot boot after update: /boot/vmlinuz-linux not found (Read 481 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot boot after update: /boot/vmlinuz-linux not found

Hi everybody, I am running Artix Linux with runit. My computer has been freezing randomly for the past couple days, and today when I went to update with “sudo pacman -Syu”, my laptop crashed and now I can’t boot back in. I get to the GRUB menu, click enter on *Artix Linux, then it prompts me with this:
Loading Linux linux...
error file /boot/vmlinuz-linux not found.
loading initial ramdisk…
error: you need to load the kernel first.
If I press any key it just sends me back to the GRUB menu.
I’m really not sure how to approach this or what to do here at all, I’m not very well versed in Linux so I’m basically just stuck right now.
If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated, and if any more information is needed to help solve the problem I would be glad to supply it.

Re: Cannot boot after update: /boot/vmlinuz-linux not found

Reply #1
A very quick piece of advice I can give before anything, is to chroot into your system from an install disk, and once there reinstall the kernel (pacman -S linux linux-firmware) https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Troubleshooting#Help.21_There_was_an_update_and_my_system_doesn.27t_boot.21

Re: Cannot boot after update: /boot/vmlinuz-linux not found

Reply #2
When something goes wrong, I simply restore the last Backup with "sudo rsync -vaxH --del [backup path] [target path]".