Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] How to run the psd service in s6? (Read 939 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] How to run the psd service in s6?

Installed Profile-sync-daemon in systemd service starts like this systemctl --user [option] psd.service

Trying to run it on s6 gave me an error
sudo s6-rc -u change /usr/bin/psd                                                                                                         
s6-rc: fatal: /usr/bin/psd is not a recognized identifier in /run/s6-rc/state/resolve.cdb

When running postgresql the same way, probably doing something wrong.

sudo s6-rc -u change postgresql                                                                                                        
s6-rc: fatal: postgresql is not a recognized identifier in /run/s6-rc/state/resolve.cdb

https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/S6 read, but understanding how this thing works never came.

Please forgive me, I used a translator to create this post.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Re: How to run the psd service in s6?

Reply #1
You need to also install postgresql-s6 to get the s6 service scripts. As for profile-sync-daemon, there are no init scripts in Artix for it at the moment. I'm not sure how dependent profile-sync-daemon is on systemd so that may not be feasible to support.

Reply #2
It's very dependent. I used to use an older version, which supported openrc (pre-6).

Reply #3
What is there for our OS of this kind of program?
How can I shove a browser profile into RAM?

Reply #4
Example: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Firefox/Profile_on_RAM
I don't keep the profile in RAM, only the cache:
Code: [Select]
% grep cache /etc/fstab
tmpfs /home/nous/.cache/mozilla tmpfs noatime,nodev,nosuid,size=400M 0 0
tmpfs /home/nous/.cache/palemoon tmpfs noatime,nodev,nosuid,size=400M 0 0
tmpfs /home/nous/.cache/chromium tmpfs noatime,nodev,nosuid,size=400M 0 0
The nice thing is that RAM in tmpfs is only consumed when used.

Reply #5
I do not know much about the mechanics, if enough just send the cache to the RAM, why such complex mechanisms with services and additional programs?

Reply #6
It's almost like spending 35 minutes compiling your kernel with --funroll-all-loops -march=native in order to gain 42 nanoseconds in a task that takes 280 seconds to finish. Almost.

Humour aside, it supposedly reduces the wear of SSDs from frequent write operations.

Reply #7
Pages do load faster.
And yes the main reason ssd wear and tear, the laptop has a broken port m.2 works on its built-in memory 32gb can not change the ssd, and uses 80% of surfing the internet.

Thank you very much for your answers, the topic can be considered closed. One more question though, I have s6 now, does it make sense to reinstall the system on openrc?

Re: [SOLVED] How to run the psd service in s6?

Reply #9
That's what I meant, will it make system administration easier? Are there more packages written for openrc than for s6?

Re: [SOLVED] How to run the psd service in s6?

Reply #10
That's what I meant, will it make system administration easier? Are there more packages written for openrc than for s6?
What's easier entirely depends on how you feel about it.

The only packages which are init-dependant are service packages and, of course, init packages themselves. Other software is not init-dependant. All supported services are maintained for all supported inits. slim-runit is the only exception having no equivalent packages for other inits that is known to me so far.