Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: New utility: check-link-consistency (Read 1625 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New utility: check-link-consistency

Reply #15
Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Si python2
Repository      : world
Name            : python2
Version         : 2.7.18-5
Depends On      : bzip2  expat  gdbm  libffi  libnsl  libxcrypt  openssl  sqlite  zlib
Optional Deps   : tk: for IDLE
                  python2-setuptools
                  python2-pip
Packager        : Artix Build Bot <[email protected]>
Build Date      : Mon 11 Oct 2021 08:31:28 PM BST
It's the python2 package causing that problem, which is in the Artix repos. I also have postgresql installed which has python2 as an optional dep, so perhaps that's why it got installed, or it could have been added as a build dep for something. Thank you for answering that question, this seems very useful.

Reply #16
I also have postgresql installed which has python2 as an optional dep, so perhaps that's why it got installed

Optdeps don't get installed automatically. And check-link-consistency would not take postgres' optdeps if all postgres' own libs are good. You can try `check-link-consistency -O` to disable optdeps resolution and instantly see all broken libs. Note: there will be a lot of errors (false errors actually), and even more since you run without config file.

Reply #17
I also have postgresql installed which has python2 as an optional dep, so perhaps that's why it got installed

Ha, postgres indeed depends on py2.7, I just ran with `-O` option myself:

ERR   postgresql 13.4-6                    /usr/lib/postgresql/hstore_plpython2.so                                    libpython2.7.so.1.0       
ERR   postgresql 13.4-6                    /usr/lib/postgresql/jsonb_plpython2.so                                     libpython2.7.so.1.0      
ERR   postgresql 13.4-6                    /usr/lib/postgresql/ltree_plpython2.so                                     libpython2.7.so.1.0      
ERR   postgresql 13.4-6                    /usr/lib/postgresql/plpython2.so                                           libpython2.7.so.1.0      
ERR   postgresql 13.4-6                    /usr/lib/postgresql/pltcl.so                                               libtcl8.6.so             

Still, without `-O` option I never got errors about py2. Indeed pacman downloads python2 to resolve these:

# check-link-consistency -v 2>&1 | grep python2
EXEC  /usr/bin/pacman -Sw --noconfirm ..... python2 .....
world/python2                              2.7.18-5                 76.87 MiB
EXEC  /usr/bin/pacman -Sw --print-format '%n %l' python2

Reply #18
Yes, I think python2 was installed as a build dep for an AUR package checking back, not because of postgresql. python2 was already on my system, that was why check-link-consistency tried to install python2-pip and failed - it's the python2 PKGBUILD that contains an unresolvable (except by resorting to the AUR) optional dependency:
https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesP/python2/src/branch/master/x86_64/extra/PKGBUILD
But I can see why it's like that - after all, who would want to use some old version of python-pip, so why have it as a package, yet it's still accurate to say it's an optional dependency of python2!
Removing python2 resolved the errors and check-link-consistency ran without problems then.