Skip to main content
Topic: "keyboard stuck" after reboot (Read 742 times) previous topic - next topic

"keyboard stuck" after reboot

Hi, I'm fairly new to linux and I hope this is the right subsection to post in?

Essentially i have a new Lenovo E14 Gen 3, tried to install Arch (newest iso) and couldn't connect to wifi - tried an older iso and wifi worked for installation but then after installation whilst I could eventually login systemd wouldn't start lightdm. I decided to take the plunge and try Artix I have tried runit, openrc and s6 init systems, so far I prefer openrc - so that is what is currently installed. No issues with lightdm or connecting to wifi.

The problem I have is that when I reboot the system, grub will load I choose Artix then it usually hangs, the keyboard does nothing (i.e capslock indicator led won't change when pressed) I hold the power button to turn the laptop off... then power back on and I get a message which appears to be from lenovo bios (same font/text size) saying "keyboard stuck" (or along those lines it flashes up so fast.) Then openrc will load and everything seems to be fine. I have also seen messages about kernal panic but won' have that info unless it happens again as I decided to reinstall last night (sorry.) Shutting down and repowering the device doesn't seem to cause this issue.

Searching online returns useless results about sticky keys or having keys with debris under them. The keyboard is perfectly functional!

I am not sure if this is a bug I should report to Lenovo, or whether it is possibly a bug in the kernal? The laptop does have the latest bios firmware.

Although I have used Arch for a few months on a different laptop - I am not sure where to find specific logs which may be helpful to diagnose and fix the issue - (my other laptop had zero problems, so no need to look on my part)

If someone could point me in the right direction and possibly send me a link to find the right logs or advise what to search for it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post with not to much technical info.

Thanks, Rob

Re: "keyboard stuck" after reboot

Reply #1
@rob, I got a similar problem with Tuxedo notebook and Tuxedo suggest to add this command to the grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.noloop

After regenerating the grub and restarting the notebook, I no longer got problems with the keyboard. Maybe that for Lenovo is something different, but this is what work for me :-)

Reply #3
Thank you francesco and strajder I will have a look at these and report back if they fix the issue a little later! I don't currently have access to my laptop to try it.

Seriously, thanks guys!

Reply #4
Again thanks for both replies, unfortunately neither seemed to work.

@rob, I got a similar problem with Tuxedo notebook and Tuxedo suggest to add this command to the grub:  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.noloop

After regenerating the grub and restarting the notebook, I no longer got problems with the keyboard. Maybe that for Lenovo is something different, but this is what work for me :-)

This method hangs on system startup after rebooting. Powering the device down and turning it back on loads lightdm just fine and the keyboard works as norma.

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,3633.msg23554.html#msg23554

Lenovo laptops seem to require specific parameters on the kernel command line.

The method shown here also hangs on system startup after rebooting. However on a cold boot, whilst lightdm loads up just fine, it is impossible to type the password as the keys don't     register presses or they randomly register.

lsmod lists:
 libps2                 20480  2 atkbd,psmouse
 i8042                  45056  0
 xhci_pci               20480  0
 crc32c_intel           24576  5
 xhci_pci_renesas       24576  1 xhci_pci
 serio                  28672  6 serio_raw,atkbd,psmouse,i8042

I diabled serio, libps2 and i8042 one by one and the system seems to reboot fine - obviously I cannot use the keyboard or mouse with them disabled. But I think it must be something to do with the i8042 driver/module as pointed out. I have tried searching online for other solutions to do with i8042 but nothing really seems to work properly...

I'll have another look and see if I can find something. If anyone has any other ideas that would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Just to clarify the keyboard works fine on a cold boot. It's only when I restart the laptop that it hangs and after turning it off and on it says the keyboard was stuck but because it was cold booted the keyboard works just fine again. I guess when it reboots there must be something to do with i8042 getting confused https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/28736/what-does-the-i8042-nomux-1-kernel-option-do-during-booting-of-ubuntu#28810 unfortunately though the suggestions in this link didn't fix my problem either.

Reply #5
Is there some option like 'fastboot' in the bios?
You might try to turn this off and/or change any related options to see if this makes a difference.

Reply #6
There is an option for quick boot which i had set to diagnostics about half an hour ago... Lenovo included some diagnostic tool I messed around with that and then grub dissappeared... I booted into artix iso, all my mount points are gone lol

I basically disabled most everything in the bios already, secure boot etc. There is an option to extended boot time under the display option, but the description is saying it's to give monitors a chance to power up before booting the computer.

Anyway the diagnostic tool did show that the trackpad, the lenovo stick thing and the keyboard are all PS/2, so I guess there is that even if it screwed my installation.

I think I'll have to take a break from it for a bit - I kind of just want to chuck it at the wall right now! Thanks again, though.