Skip to main content
Topic: Suite66, S6 or Dinit (Read 3233 times) previous topic - next topic

Suite66, S6 or Dinit

Looking to switch from Arch & I see theres a new ISO for dinit, I was just wondering what  that entails & differences from Suite66,Runit or S6. I dont use forums often, so I apologize in advance, any recommendations  are welcome as it pertains to inits.

Re: Suite66, S6 or Dinit

Reply #1
Please don't double post. Update: Merged.

You can see the difference between the commands used by different init systems on our wiki:

OpenRC
runit
s6
dinit

Also see their respective websites for more information. To try out different init systems, use an emulator like QEMU.

Edit: When I started using Artix, it was with s6. Why? Because everyone was using OpenRC or runit, and I wanted to check out the underdog. Later 66 was added, so I switched init to 66. Currently, I'm using 66 on both of my computers, since I'm currently a 66 maintainer for Artix. For testing, I also use other init systems in QEMU.

All init systems supported by Artix work, and all of the software distributed by Artix works with them.

Re: Suite66, S6 or Dinit

Reply #2
Looking to switch from Arch & I see theres a new ISO for dinit, I was just wondering what  that entails & differences from Suite66,Runit or S6. I dont use forums often, so I apologize in advance, any recommendations  are welcome as it pertains to inits.

Regarding the differences: https://github.com/davmac314/dinit/blob/master/doc/COMPARISON

All of them do work well as an init system, but some of them do offer more complex or granular options than others. Contrary to systemd, none of them tries to do things that are completely unrelated to init and supervision.
Code: [Select]
ARTIX Dinit + SDDM + Enlightenment