Skip to main content
Topic: proof that runit does not function as documented (Read 561 times) previous topic - next topic

proof that runit does not function as documented

Yeah, you can't make me go away by trolling me, insulting me, and lying to me.

I can prove that runit doesn't work.

Or, at least that it doesn't work as documented.
Code: [Select]
# runuser -u ssh-chat -- ssh-chat --verbose --bind=[ip]:[port] --identity=/path/to/chat/server/identity/key/file --motd=/path/to/motd.txt --allowlist=/path/to/allowlist
Added server identity: [redacted]
Listening for connections on [::]:[port]
It runs perfectly. I hit ctrl-c to make it stop. This also works as expected. There are no problems. It is running in the foreground as prescribed by the runit documentation. Clients can connect to the service, via tor and otherwise. There are no problems. It is working perfectly and exactly as it should.

Lets try the /etc/runit/sv/ssh-chat/run file:
# cat /etc/runit/sv/ssh-chat/run
#!/bin/sh
exec chpst -u ssh-chat /path/to/ssh-chat --bind=[ip]:[port] --identity=/path/to/chat/server/identity/key/file --motd=/path/to/motd.txt --allowlist=/path/to/allowlist
# sv start ssh-chat
timeout: down: ssh-chat: 0s, normally up, want up
#
runit has failed to perform a proven and known-working command

I have followed the documentation and done exactly as it prescribes.

Proven: runit doesn't work (as documented).

If there are some undocumented incantations which must be uttered, it would be nice if the documentation were corrected to reflect these (deliberate, obnoxious) omissions.

If you are incapable of anything but name-calling and/or obnoxious, immature nerd trolling; I ask that you do not respond. Do not bugger up the thread with useless brat noise.

I have already noticed that a moderator is observing me and deleting my posts while in preview/edit mode, just like the last thread. Screwing with me for entertainment.

Re: proof that runit does not function as documented

Reply #1
Yeah, you can't make me go away by trolling me, insulting me, and lying to me.

I can prove that runit doesn't work.

Or, at least that it doesn't work as documented.
# runuser -u ssh-chat -- ssh-chat --verbose --bind=[ip]:[port] --identity=/path/to/chat/server/identity/key/file --motd=/path/to/motd.txt --allowlist=/path/to/allowlist
Added server identity: [redacted]
Listening for connections on [::]:[port]
It runs perfectly. I hit ctrl-c to make it stop. This also works as expected. There are no problems. It is running in the foreground as prescribed by the runit documentation. Clients can connect to the service, via tor and otherwise. There are no problems. It is working perfectly and exactly as it should.

Lets try the /etc/runit/sv/ssh-chat/run file:
# cat /etc/runit/sv/ssh-chat/run
#!/bin/sh
exec chpst -u ssh-chat /path/to/ssh-chat --bind=[ip]:[port] --identity=/path/to/chat/server/identity/key/file --motd=/path/to/motd.txt --allowlist=/path/to/allowlist
# sv start ssh-chat
timeout: down: ssh-chat: 0s, normally up, want up
#
runit has failed to perform a proven and known-working command

I have followed the documentation and done exactly as it prescribes.

Proven: runit doesn't work (as documented).

It there are some undocumented incantations which must be uttered, it would be nice if the documentation were corrected to reflect these (deliberate, obnoxious) omissions.

If you are incapable of anything but name-calling and/or obnoxious, immature nerd trolling; I ask that you do not respond. Do not bugger up the thread with useless brat noise.

I have already noticed that a moderator is observing me and deleting my posts while in preview/edit mode, just like the last thread. Screwing with me for entertainment.

You would get a better response if you lowered your tone, then others might listen to you,   :)

Reply #2
You would get a better response if you lowered your tone, then others might listen to you,   :)
They started it. They couldn't answer the question, so chose to be belligerent instead. Kept deleting my posts on top of it. Then called me stupid and locked the thread.
Just explain why following the documentation results in non-function.
Show me how it's all my fault.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" tends to be the mantra of people too stupid to explain anything in the first place... That's why documentation sucks; it's written by people who can't communicate effectively. Then, insult the reader...

Show me how I have failed. Show me where I'm wrong.

I have done precisely as the documentation says, and it doesn't work.

So:

1) the documentation is wrong
or
2) runit is broken

Reply #3
Instead of throwing a hissy fit on the forum, why don't you simply look at the debug output and see what the issue is? Runit is trying to start the command as indicated, but it is failing for some reason. It could be missing environment variables or something else completely like I pointed out in the other thread. Locked since OP obviously has no intention of learning anything.