Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Several KDE Plasma Desktop issues all at once (Read 1344 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Several KDE Plasma Desktop issues all at once

After a system upgrade and restart, these issues occurred:

- desktop widgets including the task manager went missing entirely, had to make new ones

- Color theme inexplicably resets to default breeze theme whenever I restart regardless of if I do a system upgrade. Oddly, the icon theme, global theme, etc. remain what was selected- only the color theme resets.

- System settings will not load. The error looks like this
"org.kde.systemsettings.app: System Settings was unable to load any views, and hence has nothing to display."

In my years of using KDE, this is all new to me. Anyone have any ideas? If there are logs I should post, let me know and I'll try to find them, but bear in mind this started over a week ago.

Re: Several KDE Plasma Desktop issues all at once

Reply #1
In a terminal run: systemsettings5 --style=Breeze
If it works check the global theme, otherwise upload the output.
artist

Reply #2
In a terminal run: systemsettings5 --style=Breeze
If it works check the global theme, otherwise upload the output.
artist
That did nothing. Here is the full output
Code: [Select]
Icon theme "gnome" not found.
org.kde.systemsettings.app: System Settings was unable to load any views, and hence has nothing to display.

Reply #3
Did you test by creating a session as another user?

Reply #5
Although not the same as OP's, I've been dealing with problems in Plasma since a week or so ago.

The problem is the /Plasma Desktop/ (wallpaper, taskbar & widgets, notifications, app launcher) etc. not working - all black, but the cursor and programs render OK when prompted through the terminal.

The funny is ... it solved after having installed amd-ucode [despite my vendor being Intel]. Just INSTALLED it, it's not even being loaded by my bootloader.

(Tested on both an already stablished and a fresh install based on the latest stable Plasma ISO (-Syu right after install); since it was a full system upgrade, it's hard to pinpoint which package is the culprit)

Reply #6
The funny is ... it solved after having installed amd-ucode [despite my vendor being Intel]. Just INSTALLED it, it's not even being loaded by my bootloader.
That's bizarre! But I'm curious. What even inspired you to install amd-ucode when you have an intel CPU ?

Reply #7
Did you test by creating a session as another user?
I created another user, but inexplicably, the login fails and it goes back to the SDDM login screen. As before, if there are logs to post let me know.
Community Plasma with the S6 init
Although not the same as OP's, I've been dealing with problems in Plasma since a week or so ago.

The problem is the /Plasma Desktop/ (wallpaper, taskbar & widgets, notifications, app launcher) etc. not working - all black, but the cursor and programs render OK when prompted through the terminal.

(Tested on both an already stablished and a fresh install based on the latest stable Plasma ISO (-Syu right after install); since it was a full system upgrade, it's hard to pinpoint which package is the culprit)
I tried this just for kicks but nope, not on my intel machine. Curious why it worked on yours as well!

Reply #8
I installed the plasma-s6-20220123 iso and ran a full system update, but I couldn't reproduce the issues...

Reply #9
I forgot to come back to this thread.
So, I solved these issues a month or so ago by doing... nothing.

The only thing that technically wasn't fixed was that I didn't get my old widget setup back. But, thankfully, now the new widgets, task bar, color theme etc. I set don't delete or reset to default upon every reboot.

System settings launched like there was never a problem.

I guess a system update resolved the problems, somehow?

I don't know. Regardless, this thread can be marked as solved.