Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: network-manager-applet free(): invalid pointer (Read 1651 times) previous topic - next topic

network-manager-applet free(): invalid pointer

Hi!
I'm having some trouble with network-manager-applet pkg
Code: [Select]
world/network-manager-applet 1.8.20-1 (168.1 KiB 747.0 KiB) (Installed)
    Applet for managing network connections
I'm trying to connect to a hidden network wi-fi
after click "connect" it crash.
I found two messages:

"Segmentation fault"

free(): invalid pointer
Aborted

Thanks for advance

Re: network-manager-applet free(): invalid pointer

Reply #1
Yeah that's definitely upstream. Networkmanager does officially support elogind, so you are more than welcome to bug them and they should be able to fix it. Like the error says, someone left an extra free in there somewhere.

Edit: Oh let me be more clear since my earlier post may be confusing. NetworkManager supports elogind, so therefore network-manager-applet (which is a separate project) should support elogind setups as well (since it depends on NetworkManager). File a bug report with the network-manager-applet folks. And of course, it's also possible that this bug has nothing to do with elogind at all although I would think someone would have caught it on a typical systemd setup (dialogs crashing is pretty hard to miss).

Reply #2
Yeah that's definitely upstream. Networkmanager does officially support elogind, so you are more than welcome to bug them and they should be able to fix it. Like the error says, someone left an extra free in there somewhere.

Edit: Oh let me be more clear since my earlier post may be confusing. NetworkManager supports elogind, so therefore network-manager-applet (which is a separate project) should support elogind setups as well (since it depends on NetworkManager). File a bug report with the network-manager-applet folks. And of course, it's also possible that this bug has nothing to do with elogind at all although I would think someone would have caught it on a typical systemd setup (dialogs crashing is pretty hard to miss).
Yeah. Thnks. I will try to fix this.

Reply #5
after their release: where can we have the that version on artix?

You can bypass Artix/Arch and use AUR and install git version of network manager applet.
aur/network-manager-applet-git

The time it appears in Artix / Arch is probably after next release
or you can ask maintainer to add patch to fix this  bug.
To do that use Arch website: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/network-manager-applet/
After the change appears in Arch it will soon land in Artix.

Reply #6
Hello,
package "network-manager-applet" in Arch was updated few days ago and it should contain this fix.

If you manually built it from AUR you should update to version from repository to get updates in the feature.

See packages changes:
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/network-manager-applet&id=f5bbaefb839e291a8dc9d88b6ea0ff8dea62f50f

I am marking this topic as solved.