Skip to main content
Topic: [Solved] Essential packages to install (firewall) (Read 815 times) previous topic - next topic

[Solved] Essential packages to install (firewall)

Hello

I haven't installed Artix yet but I've tested the plasma-runit-20220516 live iso and I notice it has far fewer packages than Mint or Manjaro. Are there any packages you guys recommend installing (quality of life, security)?
I'm not talking about text editor or browser recommandations, I'm talking abut things like a firewall or backend stuff that I might not be aware that I need.

My use case is general normie stuff.

I'm not completely new to Linux but still pretty much a noob. I'm switching to an Arch-based distro for the more up to date packages and to better familiarize myself with Linux in general.

Re: Essential packages to install

Reply #1
    Have a look at the community-qt edition, it contains lots of goodies you didn't even think they had existed. Take notes on which you like and get them installed. From our download page:

• Graphical installation images come with a slightly preconfigured desktop system (LXQt, LXDE, MATE, Cinnamon, KDE/Plasma, XFCE) and a rudimentary set of applications: a file manager, media player (mpv), network manager, document viewer, web browser and the calamares installer. People afraid of the Linux terminal or in need of a quick, intuitive installation would want this ISO. This is still a bare-bones installation and a lot of additional software is required for a satisfactory experience.
    • The community ISO images are created by individual Artix developers and come in 2 flavours: GTK and Qt. The main environment is MATE and KDE/Plasma respectively, but they also provide LXDE and LXQt as lightweight alternatives. These images contain a complete set of applications for general desktop use, especially KDE/Plasma. Recommended for users that want a fully preconfigured desktop that Just Works™ and/or are too busy to set it up themselves. If you cannot decide which installation ISO is for you, then use one of these, as they even feature a graphical package manager.

Re: Essential packages to install (firewall)

Reply #2
    Have a look at the community-qt edition, it contains lots of goodies you didn't even think they had existed. Take notes on which you like and get them installed. From our download page:

• Graphical installation images come with a slightly preconfigured desktop system (LXQt, LXDE, MATE, Cinnamon, KDE/Plasma, XFCE) and a rudimentary set of applications: a file manager, media player (mpv), network manager, document viewer, web browser and the calamares installer. People afraid of the Linux terminal or in need of a quick, intuitive installation would want this ISO. This is still a bare-bones installation and a lot of additional software is required for a satisfactory experience.
    • The community ISO images are created by individual Artix developers and come in 2 flavours: GTK and Qt. The main environment is MATE and KDE/Plasma respectively, but they also provide LXDE and LXQt as lightweight alternatives. These images contain a complete set of applications for general desktop use, especially KDE/Plasma. Recommended for users that want a fully preconfigured desktop that Just Works™ and/or are too busy to set it up themselves. If you cannot decide which installation ISO is for you, then use one of these, as they even feature a graphical package manager.

Thank you for the reply, I made a live iso and tried it out right after I read this. It really is chock-full of stuff (firewall included). Initially I thought the community isos were something like openSUSE where you pick between various GTK or Qt desktops during installation. I wrongly assumed they didn't have live environments, just installers.