Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] Virtualbox Drag and Drop into Artix Xfce Host (Read 685 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Virtualbox Drag and Drop into Artix Xfce Host

Does anyone have Drag and Drop in Virtualbox working on Artix Xfce?

In my case it does work from host to guest, but not from guest to host. The guest, for example, is also Xfce.

On Artix Cinnamon I had everything fine in both directions with numerous distros and DEs as guests.

Any suggestions to make it work (from guest to host) on Xfce?

Re: Virtualbox Drag and Drop into Artix Xfce Host

Reply #1
So I found one workaround (not to enable shared folders).

That is to have Xfce terminal as drag and drop target in the host. It will save the file to a dedicated folder in /tmp. Then you can move it where you need out of there.

Partly solved.

Reply #2
So I found one workaround (not to enable shared folders).

That is to have Xfce terminal as drag and drop target in the host. It will save the file to a dedicated folder in /tmp. Then you can move it where you need out of there.

Partly solved.

Ok but isn't that just a variation of enabled shared folders?  I haven't used a virtualbox in a long time but i remember shared folders being fairly easy to setup that i wonder what you have against it?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3

Ok but isn't that just a variation of enabled shared folders?  I haven't used a virtualbox in a long time but i remember shared folders being fairly easy to setup that i wonder what you have against it?

That's true. They are easy to setup. Not getting deep into technical side, it's just that:

1. Drag&drop requires user's action to drop selected files. The guest normally has no / or very limited access to the host's filesystem. While when we use shared folders guest has unlimited access (if not to setup the shared folder to read-only) to at least one folder within host.

2. D&d is more convenient in terms of enabling file sharing temporarily (for a couple of seconds, just for one short operation). Shared folders can be set quickly enough. But still it's longer to do than just ticking the option in Virtualbox menu. Shared folders can be set to read-only for the rest time. But still... See the previous paragraph.

That's my idea.

Re: [SOLVED] Virtualbox Drag and Drop into Artix Xfce Host

Reply #4
I encounter this issue (and the same workaround is applied) in the KDE image with plasma desktop and dolphin.
I haven't had it with Cinnamon.
All three are runit.