Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Virtualbox problem during upgrade pacman asks for package substituition (Read 577 times) previous topic - next topic

Virtualbox problem during upgrade pacman asks for package substituition

Hello everyone,

I am sorry for asking this

This issue has already been posted:

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,2711.msg17874.html#msg17874

But I don't understand this thread.

Furthermore, within the old thread above, there is a link to a github page, which, I assume, must be the solution.
However, I do not understand its content either.

My issue:

I have installed virtualbox, yesterday with the following packages:

virtualbox
virtualbox-host-modules-artix        <------------- Installed this instead of virtualbox-host-dkms, do not know, if it is right
virtualbox-guest-dkms                                        but I thought it might be
virtualbox-guest-iso

and it works. I already created a virtual machine and booted an artix.iso without issues, but without installing it, yet.

Then I ran "sudo pacman -Syu" and ever since pacman tries to substitute 1 package

"Replace virtualbox-guest-dkms with galaxy/virtualbox-guest-utils? [Y/n]"
"Replace virtualbox-guest-dkms with galaxy/virtualbox-guest-utils-nox? [Y/n]"

I typed "n". on "virtualbox-guest-utils" and maybe it is because of that, that pacman then asks, if I want to substitute it with
"virtaulbox-guest-utils-nox"

Then I type "n" again and the normal upgrades proceeds. However, I did not upgrade since then, because I do not know, if
it might break things.

My system is a:

Thinkpad x200
libreboot
8 gb RAM

artix base install + runit + xfce

Kernel: 5.17.8-artix1-1

1. Why does pacman want to substitute virtualbox-guest-dkms? Is it because I did not install "virtualbox-host-dkms"?
2. Should I substitue it with virtualbox-guest-utils?
3. If I put virtualbox-guest-dkms on "ignore" will it break my system in the future?
4. Can I upgrade without concern?
5. Is it better to use  virtualbox-host-dkms, instead of virtualbox-host-modules-artix?

Thank you everyone.

Re: Virtualbox problem during upgrade pacman asks for package substituition

Reply #1
edit /etc/pacman.conf and add the files to the ignorepkg line and all will be well with you.  don't look back and no need to think about it again.  i think you can use nano?
Code: [Select]
sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

enjoy.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
Hey there,

I did as you instructed. Now the system is up to date.

:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: ignoring package replacement (virtualbox-guest-dkms-6.1.22-1 => virtualbox-guest-utils-6.1.34-3)
warning: ignoring package replacement (virtualbox-guest-dkms-6.1.22-1 => virtualbox-guest-utils-nox-6.1.34-3)

I have noticed during the upgrade that both files have newer version numbers than virtualbox-guest-dkms.

So regarding question nr. 2 above: Should I substitute dkms with the 2 files I have just put on Ignore?
Since they are more up to date. I just want to avoid breakage.

If not, I leave it as it is and mark this thread as solved.

Thank you for your help.

Reply #3
Hey there,

I did as you instructed. Now the system is up to date.

:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: ignoring package replacement (virtualbox-guest-dkms-6.1.22-1 => virtualbox-guest-utils-6.1.34-3)
warning: ignoring package replacement (virtualbox-guest-dkms-6.1.22-1 => virtualbox-guest-utils-nox-6.1.34-3)

I have noticed during the upgrade that both files have newer version numbers than virtualbox-guest-dkms.

So regarding question nr. 2 above: Should I substitute dkms with the 2 files I have just put on Ignore?
Since they are more up to date. I just want to avoid breakage.

If not, I leave it as it is and mark this thread as solved.

Thank you for your help.

It's your system, you can do as you please.

DKMS stands for dell kernel management system.  It automatically does for you what you could surely do for yourself but have no need to now.  It's quick, easy, and reliable.  Nothing to fret about.  Everytime you upgrade a kernel, dkms provides that kernel the software needed to keep you virtualbox software working.

Looks solved to me.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
Thank you very much.