Skip to main content
Topic: So here's a weird delay bug when booting from legacy mode on my elitedesk g3 sff (Read 470 times) previous topic - next topic

So here's a weird delay bug when booting from legacy mode on my elitedesk g3 sff

there's only 3 sata connectors on the main board.  there was room for a 4th but it was never soldered on.  i have 2 hss a ssd and a nvme drive plus the dvd.  So i got a addon card for pcie and plugged it into the last slot which is 4 pcie lanes.  However if i plug in a hdd or ssd or even the dvd into i get a delay on boot but only with legacy boot.  the least delay is with the dvd plugged in there, about 30 seconds, while plugging in a hdd to the sata port on the pcie card in excruciatingly painfully long wait for a boot... several minutes..

Using uefi boot has no issue with it as long as i keep legacy boot turned off.  if i turn on legacy boot and off the delay stays until i factory reset bios and then go back in and turn off secureboot and the like to get artix boot back.

The reason i wanted to use legacy boot is because this machine is hard pressed to use windows core/home and i wanted to used pro.  inserting my key for pro will not work, not even from a terminal.  So what i did was install windows on a bare metal drive from within virtulbox to get pro to install.  Literally on this machine the windows installer defaults to core/home and i have no option to alter it.  It's like it's hardwired into the computer to only install core/home.  So the virtualbox wouldn't install the windows to the bare metal drive with uefi enabled in the virtualbox so i installed without it.

obvious options seem to be:

1.  go ask on tom's hardware

2.  keep the dvd unplugged from the sata card for fastest boot

3.  put up with the delay with the dvd plugged in

4.  install core/home the normal way with uefi and live without pro and install the 3.5 inch 1tb drive also plugged into the sata pcie card also and split the power for it off the connector

5.  go wash my dishes and feed my cats, stepping away from this time succubus and forghetaboudit

6.  hope someone knows how to install windows with uefi on virtualbox to the bare metal drive as opposed to legacy boot only.  i tried several times and kept getting the bsod

7.  maybe my pcie sata card just faulty? 

uefi boot is fine UNTIL i enable legacy mode then even when i switch back i have to factory reset bios then reboot and adjust for artix boot and reboot again for the delay to stop.

Is there some other culprit at play here i am not understanding?

Cat Herders of Linux

Re: So here's a weird delay bug when booting from legacy mode on my elitedesk g3 sff

Reply #1
after several days of this i just decided that

a.  i'm never buying a business machine again

b.  i'll lump it and use uefi for linux and windows and accept windows core/home until i can build my own again.

what a mess.
Cat Herders of Linux

Re: So here's a weird delay bug when booting from legacy mode on my elitedesk g3 sff

Reply #2
You could try  different BIOS versions if you think it's a BIOS bug, upgrade one at at a time, if you are on the newest,  try older ones, downgrading is sometimes harder than upgrading but can usually be done.

Reply #3
i think only the usb c drive can upgrade to bios except for online.  I have the latest version for sure i did that but online through the bios from hp or another website i can input...  this thing is a pain to work with.

Amazon was supposed to deliver a usb c drive today but it's been at the last mile station since 7 am and it has had no updates so it's probably not coming until sunday.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
There is no bios version that has a positive effect on booting Linux grub from the legacy mode of the bios.  I down graded from 2.4 to 2.02.  No effect
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #5
You could try  different BIOS versions if you think it's a BIOS bug, upgrade one at at a time, if you are on the newest,  try older ones, downgrading is sometimes harder than upgrading but can usually be done.

No bios version allows for the windows installer to give the option to insert a license key or select to bypass that and choose a fresh install of whichever version of windows you wish.  I rolled back every version to the very first and none effects a change in the installer from windows 10.  Core/home is hard baked into the system and it is not possible to fresh install any other version.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #6
Oh well, worth a try, sometimes different BIOS versions behave differently. Installing Windows is a mystery to me, I only install Linux! The other thing that might be worth looking at is firmware for the SATA PCIE card, if it has any and if it has alternate versions. Some of those old PC's had a factory option for esata ports via a PCIE card, if this was a new card then perhaps an old period item from that era, or even the original part used might have a better chance of working correctly, these are just ideas that I would consider though, I have no idea if they would help!