Skip to main content
Topic: Artix openbox vs lxde freezing (Read 553 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix openbox vs lxde freezing

There is some thing that I could not explain. When running openbox alone, programs tend to have some lag in starting and if the system is left for some hours of idle time, it tends to freeze and feel unresponsive. my solution was to logout out (which I could do even if programs are not launching) and login in again.
On the other hand when I am using lxde( which uses openbox obviously, with lxpannel killed since I like tint2), programs launch faster with no lag and have not encountered any freezing.

Is there any program that lxde uses that helps with openbox.

Re: Artix openbox vs lxde freezing

Reply #1
There is some thing that I could not explain. When running openbox alone, programs tend to have some lag in starting and if the system is left for some hours of idle time, it tends to freeze and feel unresponsive. my solution was to logout out (which I could do even if programs are not launching) and login in again.
On the other hand when I am using lxde( which uses openbox obviously, with lxpannel killed since I like tint2), programs launch faster with no lag and have not encountered any freezing.

Is there any program that lxde uses that helps with openbox.

you likely have some runaway processes chewing up your resources and locking up the system.

in the past i have used with openbox some xdg stuffs from the aur xdg-utils-mimeo and mimeo  lxde is likely just using xdg-utils but back in the day those are the two i used to solve the problem.  Some will offer another solution in creating a .xinit something or other settting that may work.  search for openbox runaway processes...  i'll look now and see if i can find the other option.

i can't find the other option as i am forum searching
try building xdg-utils-mimeo and mimeo and see if it helps.  if not you lost 10 minutes of your day.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
xdg-utils-mimeo worked extremely well for me. The programs launch instantly. I have yet to see if the freezing will occur yet.

thanks. Been battling with it for some time now. Hope the freezing is solved also.
:)

Reply #3
glad to see that it works.  cat herders of linux know a few things after all.
Cat Herders of Linux