Skip to main content
Topic: Steam Native Runtime Not Available on Artix (Read 845 times) previous topic - next topic

Steam Native Runtime Not Available on Artix

Hi, I would like to install steam and use the native runtime on my Artix machine. However, it seems that it is not packaged for Artix and the Arch package has a hard dependency on lib32-systemd visible in the following error when trying to install the package:
Code: [Select]
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
/usr/lib32/pkgconfig/libsystemd.pc exists in both 'lib32-elogind' and 'lib32-systemd'
lib32-systemd: /usr/lib32/libudev.so exists in filesystem (owned by lib32-udev)
lib32-systemd: /usr/lib32/libudev.so.1 exists in filesystem (owned by lib32-udev)
lib32-systemd: /usr/lib32/pkgconfig/libudev.pc exists in filesystem (owned by lib32-udev)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Is there any chance we could get this packaged for Artix?

Edit: It seems that I just need to install
Code: [Select]
lib32-artix-archlinux-support
in order to get the package working, but I could it still be packaged natively in Artix?

Re: Steam Native Runtime Not Available on Artix

Reply #1
Steam is available on artix last i checked.

it's available in lib32 of artix.  likely you need to install arch repos for multilib also.  that will require installing artix-archlinux-support.  Short answer is no to the question you asked.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
Steam is available on artix last i checked.

it's available in lib32 of artix.  likely you need to install arch repos for multilib also.  that will require installing artix-archlinux-support.  Short answer is no to the question you asked.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Yes, steam is in lib32, but I was wondering about the Steam Native Runtime (packaged as steam-native on Arch), a version of steam using system libraries instead of its internal ones. Did you mean that it's not possible to be packaged or something?

Reply #3
but I could it still be packaged natively in Artix?

I imagine it could but it isn't. Lots of packages which are in the arch repo's are not in the artix repo's.
I can only guess but imagine steam-native-runtime is not a priority what with steam being available anyway.

From my own experience steam-native-runtime does not work well.
And over the years I've seen many threads along the lines of "steam-native-runtime not working" to which the reply is generally "Use the normal steam package".

Unless you are desperately short of storage space just install the normal steam. There is no benefit to steam-native-runtime, except for less duplication of libraries. And plenty of disadvantages.

Reply #4
My understanding is that unless it's in the default arch repos it has no chance of being imported into default artix repos.  Also it seems that enabling arch repos is not recommended so those aren't enabled by default either.  Finally there is no 32bit arch anymore and so no multilib/lib32 by default either.  Even arch doesn't have it available by default.

And then of course all that @gripped said also.
Cat Herders of Linux