Skip to main content
Topic: XFCE Power Manager Display Management (Read 473 times) previous topic - next topic

XFCE Power Manager Display Management

This is in regards to XFCE Settings > Power Manager > Display "tab" > Display power management.

An attempt to use this function as a  "screen saver", yes understand there is xfce -screensaver, but would like to keep things minimal; seems power manager should be able to handle this function.

Power Manager is auto started in the session.  I have set Display power  management to ON.  Set Blank After to 2 minutes. 

Works fine with no applications running,  screen blanks after 2 min.  But after using  Chromium browser and navigating around; screen no longer blanks, at all, ever.   I can close some Chromium tabs (like a site music  playing) and then the screen function may or may not return to functioning.  The only reason I mention chromium specifically is that I havent experienced the problem with other apps, and my app use is nearly all chromium browser.   If I close all applications and leave nothing running; the screen blank function then magically starts working again.

I would like the screen to blank after 2 minutes of no user interface (mouse, keyboard, etc) , regardless of whats running.   My question is, is this XFCE power management screen blank function intended to be used as I am using it as screensaver?  is it inherently unreliable?   Should I just use xfce-screensaver?

Re: XFCE Power Manager Display Management

Reply #1
If you want something minimal, try xset(1):
# Disable the screensaver:
xset s off

# Set the screensaver to start after 60 minutes of inactivity:
xset s 3600 3600