Skip to main content
Topic: To maintainers from C++ developer: is Conan a trouble for you? (Read 323 times) previous topic - next topic

To maintainers from C++ developer: is Conan a trouble for you?

Hi. Did you ever have any software to package that uses https://conan.io/ to build? Ran into any problems? Any advices/caveats for developer who thinks of using Conan?

And BTW, i'm confused about should i install Conan with pip, or with pacman from universe repo? I'm a certified python hater and don't know much about distro mechanics. Maybe from universe just to get auto-updates?

Re: To maintainers from C++ developer: is Conan a trouble for you?

Reply #1
Never used conan, but one time I had something installed with pip, it got filed under some python-versionnumber dir tree. Then some months later python got a package upgrade to a new major version, and it installed under python-newversionnumber. But the pip package was left on the os in the old dir and the new python couldn't find it, pip couldn't either, so I had to manually delete the old files and reinstall using pip. That was about a couple of years ago, but unless that behaviour has changed if there's a choice of repo or pip then I would go for the repo one unless there was some other factor in the choice.

Re: To maintainers from C++ developer: is Conan a trouble for you?

Reply #2
if there's a choice of repo or pip then I would go for the repo one

Haha, thank you, good story. :)

Now being curious about how repo python packages are installed, I did `pacman -Sw conan` and checked .MTREE in some archives. They also install to versioned /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages, but obviously this python version will upgrade with package, so I may have only temporary problems. Acceptable.jpeg.