Skip to main content
Topic: Prosody xmpp server - how to setup (Read 406 times) previous topic - next topic

Prosody xmpp server - how to setup

Hello everybody!. I'm trying to make a how to, step by step installation of a Prosody xmpp server. I've play a little bit in the past with prosody but never really made it to work but now i'm trying to see if this is possible having in mind no systemd around here thank you  :)

Anyone with some experience  in networking or setting up e-mail client/xmpp/or other self hosted services is welcomed in giving a helping hand.

First i would wanna know how hard is it (easy 1-10 hard) setting up a prosody xmpp server on a systemd free OS. Here i would like to focus on a runit Artix system but any other init is also welcome.

We need to know here what port in/out must be opened or other technical details like certificates and so on. Hopefully when this  topic will be considered solved Artix users would know how to have their own xmpp server running. Cheers and as always, tnx in advance!

Re: Prosody xmpp server - how to setup

Reply #1
So landchad.net has a guide to setting up Prosody, although aimed at Debian 9/10 but the important stuff is the configuration, I'm sure you'll be able to replace sysD commands with the ones for your init.

Re: Prosody xmpp server - how to setup

Reply #2
 Yeah looks good that tutorial however there might be needed some aspect that it doesn't cover at al. For example DNS records.

Xmpp needs special kind of dns records in order for client and server find each other. So you need to link the proper SRV records into your host (example.com). If it does not receive those special kind of records more likely prosody will fail. Something like in this image bellow. Think that might be the case when you use a self signed certificate. What i'm trying is the simple way when that VirtualHost is on a user computer not on it's website cos most of the people do not have or need a website. More details here