Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] Failed to boot. /sbin/init does not exist (Read 825 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Failed to boot. /sbin/init does not exist

I am unable to boot on Artix. I get the error message /sbin/init does not exist. This happened after I removed Base (I know). The only packages that removed when I removed Base was iputils, licenses, artix keyring and sed. I reinstalled all except sed. I've chrooted in but I'm unable to use pacman because nmcli gives me the error "Could not create NMClient object: Could not connect: No such file or directory". I've tried reinstalling base and sed from cache but the files only exist as .pkg.tar.zst.part and they're not able to be upgraded. Does anyone know how I can connect to the internet?

Apparently /sbin/init is supposed to be a symlink but I'm not sure where to. I created a symlink to /sbin/runit-init but the problem continues.

Re: Failed to boot. /sbin/init does not exist

Reply #1
>I've chrooted in but I'm unable to use pacman because nmcli gives me the error "Could not create NMClient object: Could not connect: No such file or directory".

Are you trying to connect to internet from inside the chroot or the live system? you should connect to the internet on the live system and the chroot environment will have access to the internet after that.

>I've tried reinstalling base and sed from cache but the files only exist as .pkg.tar.zst.part and they're not able to be upgraded.

What pacman command are you using to install those packages?

Reply #2
I was trying to connect to the internet inside the chroot. I've just tried in the live system. "nmcli" is not found even though I thought that it would be included.

The command I used when trying to install the packages was pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/file.

Reply #3
>I was trying to connect to the internet inside the chroot. I've just tried in the live system. "nmcli" is not found even though I thought that it would be included.

Because nmcli belongs to NetworkManager which isn't installed, I'm guessing you're going to have to use connman commands.

>The command I used when trying to install the packages was pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/file.

Hmm correct command yet what was the problem again? you said you were "upgrading" and not installing, what do you mean by that?

Reply #4
Apparently /sbin/init is supposed to be a symlink but I'm not sure where to. I created a symlink to /sbin/runit-init but the problem continues.
Not quite, you should remove that symlink. Since you're using runit, the symlink you want would be ln -sf runit-init /usr/bin/init. This is supposed to automatically run in a libalpm hook if you reinstall runit though.

Reply #5
Hmm correct command yet what was the problem again? you said you were "upgrading" and not installing, what do you mean by that?
I used upgrading and installing synonymously.  I couldn't connect to the internet and couldn't download the package so I tried to install/upgrade from cache but couldn't. The problem was that the file stored in cache had a ".part" at the end of it. I assume this meant that it was only partially downloaded but I'm not sure why that would be the case. I  hadn't updated recently and everything was functional beforehand.

What eventually 'solved' this issue was connecting to the internet by using USB tethering from my phone (For some reason that's what made it work), re-downloaded base and followed Dudemanguy's advice with the symlink. The boot has successful, but my keyboard didn't work after boot (but it did work in BIOS and on a live USB). Re-downloading the kernel and firmware didn't solve it so I just decided to reinstall the entire OS. Fortunately I made backups and it didn't take long.