Skip to main content
Topic: Question (Read 814 times) previous topic - next topic

Question

Hi, I wanted to know that what if I installed artix openrc and then i add blackarch repo. Will it make my os unstable because artix has packages compiled against systemd while blackarch uses systemd.. ?? just wanted to know .. and when will the updated iso be released ?

Re: Question

Reply #1
Short answer: Yes probably.

Longer answer: Blackarch (Which I'd never heard of) suggests running https://blackarch.org/strap.sh which, from a quick look at it, would have the potential to cause breakage. Whereas just manually adding the repo might be less problematic?

Regardless any Blackarch tools which run as a service will only have systemd service files so you would have to source an openrc service file or write your own. Any Blackarch tools which have a systemd dependancy won't work.

Try it in a VM. See what happens.

Reply #2
The Artix wiki says:
"Unofficial User Repositories
You may use any of the repositories listed on Unofficial User Repositories or those at the Arch wiki; make sure you read and understand the warning before adding them to your system."
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories
You might want to have the Arch repos enabled for a bit more systemd compatibility and then put this one below everything else, then any system critical stuff would (hopefully) be masked by the corresponding packages in the repos above, which will take precedence. It might not be so much described as "unstable" as "untested" because most things will probably work fine, there could be exceptions with certain packages or if libs go out of sync temporarily, it's more likely the Blackarch packages will have the problems rather than your OS though.

Reply #3
Short answer: Yes probably.

Longer answer: Blackarch (Which I'd never heard of) suggests running https://blackarch.org/strap.sh which, from a quick look at it, would have the potential to cause breakage. Whereas just manually adding the repo might be less problematic?

Regardless any Blackarch tools which run as a service will only have systemd service files so you would have to source an openrc service file or write your own. Any Blackarch tools which have a systemd dependancy won't work.

Try it in a VM. See what happens.
No.. Whether you run strap.sh or you add blackarch keys manually the result will be the same because the repo will be the same... but my clear question: Blackarch is systemd based and if i install blackarch packages then will it cause damage to my artix openrc ?

Reply #4
No.. Whether you run strap.sh or you add blackarch keys manually the result will be the same because the repo will be the same... but my clear question: Blackarch is systemd based and if i install blackarch packages then will it cause damage to my artix openrc ?
I did say I had a quick look at strap.sh. If you've studied it and understand exactly what it's doing then fine use it instead of doing the same manually. A lot of people run scripts such as these blind. From your short post I had no idea whether or not you'll study it before running it.

Arch is, as we know, systemd based. Instructions to add the Arch repo's are in the Artix wiki. Many Artix users have them enabled including me. I can't remember having them enabled ever causing me major problems yet if you search on here you can find plenty of examples of users having issues seemingly because of the Arch repos, or packages from the AUR.

Unless someone here pops up, who has actual experience of Blackarch on Artix, and can give advice based upon their experience, then my advice remains try it and see. It takes very little time to create a fresh Artix VM, add the Arch repo's and then Blackarch on top.

Reply #5

It will break your system beyond repair. Blackarch is systemd centered OS that updates and install packages that expects systemd to be present.

Reply #6
I did say I had a quick look at strap.sh. If you've studied it and understand exactly what it's doing then fine use it instead of doing the same manually. A lot of people run scripts such as these blind. From your short post I had no idea whether or not you'll study it before running it.

Arch is, as we know, systemd based. Instructions to add the Arch repo's are in the Artix wiki. Many Artix users have them enabled including me. I can't remember having them enabled ever causing me major problems yet if you search on here you can find plenty of examples of users having issues seemingly because of the Arch repos, or packages from the AUR.

Unless someone here pops up, who has actual experience of Blackarch on Artix, and can give advice based upon their experience, then my advice remains try it and see. It takes very little time to create a fresh Artix VM, add the Arch repo's and then Blackarch on top.

ay thank you.. but I have studied the script 2 times before running it in archlinux months ago... and yes i first read whatever i run. i also have verified the checksum as provided by blackarch and read it.. then kept a copy of it and then ran it... I dont download it everytime because i saved a copy of it...

Reply #7

This is likely correct and the best advice.  Lots of hard is done to make artix work with systemd programs, but things aren't at all perfect in that regard, although it is remarkably effective at working with a vast number of programs.  Blackarch, however, is an OS that is designed for a unique networking tool with many system programs specifically designed for systemd.  It is not so much of an issue of does it work with artix, but does that OS work with openrc etc.  They might work with artix tools set, but it is not like you are running a version of Artix with a different window manager.  That would be blackartix?   It would require real experiment and test.  Put up a VM and run the test in a VM.  Let us know how  it goes and perhaps you can work with their developers to address hitches and do a write up for others who want to blaze this trail with you.