Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] grub-install: error: /boot/efi doesn't look like an EFI partition. (Read 2954 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] grub-install: error: /boot/efi doesn't look like an EFI partition.

Code: [Select]
sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub
[sudo] password for catherdersoflinux:
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: /boot/efi doesn't look like an EFI partition.

so obviously i had errors with my dual boot system and spent soe time reconfiguring that.  I had to reinstall windows so i moved some partitions around.  In that i had deleted the fat32 partition for artix uefi.  so i saved the other partitions and installed a new artix that now has uefi installed correctly.  And you guessed it, it picks up my configured artix well and windows also.  So booting into the configured artix i now want to install grub and get rid of the new artix as that was my tool for rescuing configured artix that was missing fat 32 uefi.  and so when i try to install grub i get the above error.  what can i do now to install grub into fat32 uefi?  aka /boot/efi??
Cat Herders of Linux

Re: grub-install: error: /boot/efi doesn't look like an EFI partition.

Reply #1
ok so /dev/sda1 is my linux fat32 uefi partition.
so do i just mount that as /boot/efi
and then install grub?  should i also list it in fstab?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
Confused.
If you have an EFI partition that can boot 'new Artix' and 'Old artix" why do you need another EFI partition?

Maybe the two EFI partitions are on different drives ? Hope so because you can't have two on the same the same drive. At least I don't think so? Sounds like trouble.

Are you sure you formatted the newer EFI partition.
What's the output of
mount
on the install where you are trying to reinstall grub ?

Reply #3
i can plainly see that my old artix that i am trying to salvage doesn't have an efi at all presently because the file manager shows that i have 18gb free on /boot/efi
i really don't want to keep new artix.  i just did that to avoid chrooting into old artix as it is usually easier.

mount
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=16302008k,nr_inodes=4075502,mode=755,inode64)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755,inode64)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,inode64)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,inode64)
binfmt on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)
cgroup_root on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755,inode64)
openrc on /sys/fs/cgroup/openrc type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,favordynmods,release_agent=/etc/dinit.d/scripts/cgroup-release-agent.sh,name=openrc)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate,favordynmods)
cpuset on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset,favordynmods)
cpu on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,favordynmods)
cpuacct on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,favordynmods)
blkio on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio,favordynmods)
memory on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory,favordynmods)
devices on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices,favordynmods)
freezer on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer,favordynmods)
net_cls on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,favordynmods)
perf_event on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event,favordynmods)
net_prio on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_prio,favordynmods)
hugetlb on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb,favordynmods)
pids on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids,favordynmods)
rdma on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma,favordynmods)
misc on /sys/fs/cgroup/misc type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,misc,favordynmods)
/dev/sda3 on /home type ext4 (rw,noatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=3262296k,nr_inodes=815574,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1001,inode64)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1001)
/dev/sdc1 on /run/media/catherdersoflinuxes/ARTIX_202211 type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,nojoliet,check=s,map=n,blocksize=2048,uid=1000,gid=1001,dmode=500,fmode=400,iocharset=utf8,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdb6 on /run/media/catherdersoflinuxes/EEAE355EAE35208F type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdb5 on /run/media/catherdersoflinuxes/23af054c-716b-4c61-8f30-3a6210b87ec6 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdb3 on /run/media/catherdersoflinuxes/Downloads type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

so clearly fat32 /boot/efi isn't mounted on old artix at all.  i'll copy fstab from new artix for starters i think..

UUID=9B8B-E261                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
  this is from old artix and that partition doesn't exist. so i'll change the uuid to match new artix and see how that rolls.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
ok so using the fstab entry from new artix and placing it in the fstab from old artix and deleting the entry that was listed in old artix seemed to do the trick.

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub
[sudo] password for catherdersoflinuxes:
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
Cat Herders of Linux