Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Suddenly getting a "X Error of failed request: BadValue" with Wine (Read 4207 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [SOLVED] Suddenly getting a "X Error of failed request: BadValue" with Wine

Reply #15
Well first attempt just proved dkms is easily confused! I'll be back .....

Reply #16
Oh, driver issues, that makes sense.

I'd seen people discussing how nvidia cards don't play nice with Linux, my next desktop build I'm going to try and go with AMD for my graphics card. Hopefully that would lead to fewer issues in the future. I knew to expect issues like this before I started using Linux as my daily driver. So I may as well try to get used to it sooner or later with these types of fixes. I'm just worried about breaking something to the point where it causes more issues than what I was trying to fix.

I wanted to do some game footage capture, but OBS is also the best software that I've tried for framing my webcam and actually getting an accurate picture of what the webcam sees, which is important when you're working with particularly picky clients that want you to have nothing in the background of your video conferencing, and the software we use doesn't offer any filters that remove the background.

Reply #17
I was making assumptions.

It's just the obs package!
I tried downgrading the nvidia drivers one version, the kernel and headers one version and both one version.
obs still broken.
I tried downgrading obs one version (Really should have tried that first) and obs worked.

So with an up to date kernel and nvidia drivers
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/obs-studio-28.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
fixed obs

VLC works for me ?

Reply #18
Oh, driver issues, that makes sense.

I'd seen people discussing how nvidia cards don't play nice with Linux, my next desktop build I'm going to try and go with AMD for my graphics card.
I was wrong. Though it can be related to the drivers still I suppose ?
But the obs downgrade fixed it.

For all the hate nvidia drivers get (much understandable) I've been using Nvidia cards for many years and though closed source found them very well supported on Linux. The last AMD card  I bought (ATI back then) was supposed to have working Linux drivers from launch. As reported by phoronix. They were absolute shite. And only improved marginally before I gave up, sold the card, and bought an nvidia instead. I know the AMD drivers have improved now though.
But I'm sticking with Nvidia for the foreseeable future as imho these GPU companies have jumped the shark with their latest generations. Nvidia especially.
I have an RTX 2070 Super and that will have to do me. Prices too insane, card sizes too insane.

Reply #19
I'll try that, although I'm not sure why the latest obs worked on the virtual machine. The only thing I can think of is that the virtual machine doesn't have the nvidia drivers installed.

VLC will open, but it crashes when I try to open a video.

VLC media player 3.0.18 Vetinari (revision 3.0.13-8-g41878ff4f2)
[0000563c097a3520] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
QApplication: invalid style override 'gtk' passed, ignoring it.
Available styles: Breeze, bb10dark, bb10bright, kvantum-dark, kvantum, cleanlooks, gtk2, cde, motif, plastique, qt5ct-style, Oxygen, Windows, Fusion
[00007fc4a0007cd0] gl gl: Initialized libplacebo v5.229.0 (API v229)
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
[00007fc4a0007cd0] glconv_vaapi_x11 gl error: vaInitialize: unknown libva error

I see libva error, and there's a recent thread on this forum where the OP mentioned:
I uninstalled libva-vdpau-driver and now it works. Was this package not supposed to be installed?

The error in that thread is quite similar to the error I pasted. Although I see the "QApplication: invalid style override 'gtk' passed, ignoring it.
   Available styles: Breeze, bb10dark, bb10bright, kvantum-dark, kvantum, cleanlooks, gtk2, cde, motif, plastique, qt5ct-style, Oxygen, Windows, Fusion" error a lot in various error logs and otherwise when running programs. Although most of the other programs open and work fine. It just inflates the error files and shows up often. I'm probably going to end up eventually making a post about errors I see in .xsession-errors, when I am running steam that file inflates to several megabytes where as in other sessions it's only a few dozen kilobytes at worst. I probably do have some package conflicts and otherwise. I probably won't use the community iso next time, I just chose that one for testing everything on this current hardware. I do plan to build a new PC, but those parts would also require testing.

As for nvidia vs. AMD I've never used any of the most recently released cards, dropping a few thousand on a graphics card has never been something I felt comfortable doing, especially with the stories of some of the more recent releases from both AMD and nvidia either catching fire or frying themselves depending on the orientation of the card in your system. My current card was probably new in the early 2010's. I got my current card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti back in 2016 and it certainly wasn't their newest offering back then either, but it was an upgrade from the previous card I had.

Reply #20
I spoke too soon again. VLC crashing the same when I play a video file.

On the video cards I didn't used to mind dropping 500ish pounds on a new '70' every 2 or three years. Knowing I could sell the last one for about £250.
My 2070 was a forced upgrade as I cleverly knocked a can of beer into my PC. Oh how I laughed  :)

I rarely use vlc, prefer mpv, but i'll try and fix mine now..

Edit:
sudo pacman -Rns libva-vdpau-driver
Fixed it for me.

Reply #21
I thought mpv couldn't play DVDs, it can, but I don't see anything like "root menu" in the hot keys for navigation. I'd assume navigation controls probably could skip around.

Up until I graduated from uni, I didn't have much in terms of money to spend on a new system, the parts I bought before I graduated are the ones I'm still using now. I'll do some research on the parts I'd like to try for my next build. Considering I've been meaning to look into a new computer build for about 7 months now, I'd say I'm not in any major hurry at the moment.

I'll give the suggestions a try. Thanks for all the input and advice!

Reply #22
Yeah mpv does not really have much of a GUI as such. For just doubling clicking on files and playing them it suits me though.

And you're welcome.