Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Duplicated packages (Read 474 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Duplicated packages

Trying  to fix terminator (it stopped launching after an update), and seeing that I too was having issues with cairo/python-cairo I found out that I did this big brain move:
Code: [Select]
world/python-cairo 1.23.0-3 [installed]
    Python bindings for the cairo graphics library
extra/python-cairo 1.23.0-3 [installed]
    Python bindings for the cairo graphics library
So, what is the best practice both to handle having a duplicate package from two different repos (I'd prefer the world version instead of the Arch one, I think it would be better for an Artix system) and to prevent things like this from happening? Not sure if I can set something in pacman.conf to make it check before installing it if it already installed from one of Artix repos.

Thanks!

PD: Any suggestion for terminal emulators similar to terminator are also welcome

Re: Duplicated packages

Reply #1
Artix does not have every package in the default Arch repositories thus one has to include the Arch repositories.
As a result one will see both Artix and Arch versions.

It is very important that the Artix repositories are listed first in the /etc/pacman.conf file!
It is the order of repositories that determines the priority.
When one runs pacman, the Artix version will be installed by default.
As a rule of thumb always use the Artix versions if available even if the version is older.

One must be aware of library breaks occurring more often with the Arch derived packages.
Helper tools makes it very easy to select the Arch version over the Artix ones so be careful during selection.

Reply #2
You don't have the same package installed twice. What it's telling you is that you have that version installed, and it can be found in two repos. It's more a quirk of the pacman output format. The repos appear in the order they are listed in /etc/pacman.conf. If you do:
pacman -Qi python-cairo
pacman -Si world/python-cairo
pacman -Si extra/python-cairo
you should see the details firstly of what you have installed, then the 2 options in the repos. If you compare the build dates and packager fields of the output you should see where your package came from. Terminator is working here but there is a newer version of python-cairo now, so it might be fixed already.

Reply #3
Well, thanks to both of you for your answers!
I checked out my pacman.conf, and I actually do have the artix repos before the arch ones. I was worrying I had messed that up, but fortunately it was not the case.

Running the -Qi command, it outputs the world version, with it's reason to being installed being that it was pulled in as a dependency fr something else.
I ran the -Si commands, and I actually have different build dates for those packages.

And terminator is working now after my last update, so that is not a problem anymore. If I get a bit more clarification on whether I shuold clean up my system from duplicated packages, or if I actually don't have them duplicated, I will mark this as solved.

Reply #4
No, you don't have a duplicated package. Everything is fine, Pacman is dealing with it for you.

It's even possible to install the Arch repo extra one, and see that the Artix one gets replaced if you want more proof, but put it back afterwards because Terminator doesn't work! (First I checked to make sure python-cairo wouldn't break anything critical though, also I had to delete a "corrupted" package that was the old Artix version in my cache, and this is generally a pointless and inadvisable thing to do, but hopefully it illustrates the point.)
$ sudo pacman -S extra/python-cairo
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/python-cairo-1.23.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] y

$ sudo pacman -S extra/python-cairo
warning: downgrading package python-cairo (1.23.0-3.1 => 1.23.0-2)

$ sudo pacman -S world/python-cairo
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) python-cairo-1.23.0-3.1

Total Installed Size:  0.42 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

Reply #5
Alright, I marked it as solved! Thanks everybody