Skip to main content
Topic: xfce-openrc install error: calamares.desktop is in an insecure location and not  (Read 731 times) previous topic - next topic

xfce-openrc install error: calamares.desktop is in an insecure location and not

I was trying to install artix-xfce-openrc-20230206-x86_64.iso and got the following error:

Code: [Select]
Untrusted application launcher

The desktop file "calamares.desktop" is in an insecure location and not marked as executable. If you do not trust this program, click Cancel.

Exec=pkexec env DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=/home/artix/.Xauthority
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=GTK2 CALAMARES

https://imgur.com/a/4PB1ZPj

Should I try a different iso, with runit maybe, or should I just wait for the new weekly builds?

Re: xfce-openrc install error: calamares.desktop is in an insecure location and not

Reply #1
Should I try a different iso, with runit maybe, or should I just wait for the new weekly builds?

I would start with:

sudo calamares
"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "

Re: xfce-openrc install error: calamares.desktop is in an insecure location and not

Reply #2
I would start with:

sudo calamares

If I click "mark executable" it prompts me for a password and then proceeds normally. But I've installed Artix before (Plasma though, not xfce) and it launched straightaway. Is this normal for xfce?

Reply #3
it might be worth installing from a stable rather than weekly .iso.  Stables are tested for installation and will update completely, but the weekly's are auto generated and not manually tested for installation.  If you're not fussy about which init, dinit is easy and very fast! 

Reply #4
If I click "mark executable" it prompts me for a password and then proceeds normally. But I've installed Artix before (Plasma though, not xfce) and it launched straightaway. Is this normal for xfce?

No, this is unintended. And a fix is in the works.

Reply #5
No, this is unintended. And a fix is in the works.

Thank you for looking into it.

Say, any idea when the new batch of official .isos might be coming out? I'm in no real rush and if they'll be out anytime this month, I'll just wait for those.

Reply #6
it might be worth installing from a stable rather than weekly .iso.  Stables are tested for installation and will update completely, but the weekly's are auto generated and not manually tested for installation.  If you're not fussy about which init, dinit is easy and very fast! 

The reason I downloaded a weekly and not a stable release is because they're more recent. The stable .isos are, at this point, almost 7 months out of date and there's a good chance something will break as soon as I update the system. It's the first time I had any issue with one of the weeklies.

I'm in no rush to install, and @corysanin says a fix is in the works, so I'll just wait for the new batch of .isos.

As for the init, I chose openrc because it seems to be Artix's default. I have no preference.

Reply #7
up to you of course, but like i said, stables are tested from the point of install, they update completely and as soon as they don't, the devs are very hot on replacing them (never had a listed stable that reached that point anyway).  And that open-rc xfce from july installs without error, and updates without error too, as of a minute ago in a vm, so no, there is not a good chance it's going to break when you update.    Either way, enjoy open-rc, i'd imagine the fix will be in the next stable when they get replaced, and not in the weekly that as far as my understanding goes, are simply auto-generated.