Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Cairo and python-cairo upgrades (Read 630 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Cairo and python-cairo upgrades

Hello, does anyone have problems with python-cairo or even cairo? I'm not sure which one made my drawing app bork to the point it can't even launch and liferea systray icon was nuked 😵

I get this jazz when I try to run drawing app from terminal

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/drawing", line 42, in <module>
    from drawing import main
  File "/usr/share/drawing/drawing/main.py", line 22, in <module>
    from .window import DrWindow
  File "/usr/share/drawing/drawing/window.py", line 23, in <module>
    from .image import DrImage
  File "/usr/share/drawing/drawing/image.py", line 18, in <module>
    import cairo, random, math
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from ._cairo import *  # noqa: F401,F403
ImportError: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/_cairo.cpython-310-x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: cairo_tee_surface_index

Unrelated but....Note the line ' .. import cairo, random, math'  😒

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Re: Cairo and python-cairo upgrades smoked my drawing and vanished liferea systray

Reply #1

Yeah, fixed the problems. Had to downgrade both, python-cairo and cairo to the previous versions. But more likely latest upgrades for
 those two pkg aren't good, at least on my end.

Re: Cairo and python-cairo upgrades smoked my drawing and vanished liferea systray

Reply #3

Thanks for the reply but I'll wait for a bit, hopefully they will fix it for everybody eventually I guess. 🤞🏻. If the fix gonna take longer I'll
 follow your steps. Tnx again

Reply #4

Now looking closer the problem is not that packages are badly built by the artix devs but liferea and drawing are pulled straight from main arch, and those fellows always seem to struggle to make packages more and more soystemd dependent or as dependent as they can.

Better said was a 'disaster' waiting to happen. So to put it right, drawing+liferea (systray plugin)  do not behave nicely with the new Artix versions of pycairo and cairo and not the other way around

Reply #5
those fellows always seem to struggle to make packages more and more systemd dependent or as dependent as they can
That is why it is important to locally build any package from Arch that has systemd dependencies or services.

It allows one to purge systemd from the package if possible.
Unfortunately there are a few projects that fail to compile when they lack the systemd library.

Then change any existing systemd services into the init services that you are using if required.
Again unfortunately a few systemd processes cannot be recreated due to systemd's blackmagic of doing everything under the hood.

The new package is now Artix friendly with optional init service files.
The library breakages will now happen when Artix updates and not when Arch updates.

Re: [SOLVED] Cairo and python-cairo upgrades

Reply #7

Yeah latest updates fixed all the issues I've had. Thanks for the tip ✌🏻