Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Init vs Application Autostart (Read 471 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Init vs Application Autostart

Hello, I’m configuring Artix Runit / XFCE. I had been using Ubuntu previously and am new to understanding the details of configuration.

What is the difference between running a startup application (like pipewire for example) through runit or through XFCE’s startup applications?

Articles like this https://www.makeuseof.com/manage-startup-applications-on-ubuntu/ seem to present init services and session startups as interchangeable.

How do you determine which to use?

Re: Init vs Application Autostart

Reply #1
From my understanding, the major difference is an init service can restart the application in the event of it crashing, also there is usually some logging involved, so if the program doesn't create a logfile for itself the init could build a log file with whatever console output its seeing.  In my newbie experience those are the major differences.

Reply #2
Basically yes, an init service (albeit for user related cases like here pipewire, only Dinit and s6 support user services, OpenRC starts them as root always, there is big feature request for them to add it too), and a user-facing daemon like wrapper program or even something more exotic like LXQt's module support, can restart in case of a crash.

This is not to be confused with simple .desktop entries in autostart (which is what programs refer to as 'starting at login' when they give you the option), where it will only start once.

Reply #3
If you start something by writing an init service you can start it earlier in the boot process and define at what point you want to start it, in relation to what else is running or not. The logging and restarting behavior are available but not mandatory. The desktop startup options run only when the desktop has started so generally the boot will be complete, although some things might still be completing in the background. If this is a problem you could add a delay but couldn't specify another service was running, unless you devise your own way to check for it using a script. It wasn't the case until quite recently, but now desktop sessions are typically not run as root by default. Personally I use whatever is easiest and works!  ;)

Reply #4
Thanks all I understand it fully now