Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Failure to connect to internet. At my wits end. (Read 886 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Failure to connect to internet. At my wits end.

Greetings friends.

Background: (Too Long; Don't Read)
I recently installed artix with runit using the graphical XFCE ISO and it worked with no issues. I was very impressed and decided to try installing from scratch with the base ISO (still using runit). This was my first and second installation of linux on bare metal. Both are done on the same Lenovo Ideapad Laptop, which has a built in ethernet connector.
Upon booting into the live environment, I was able to successfully partition the disk, format the partitions and mount them. Because my disk was already partitioned from the graphical installer, all I had to do was remove the partition and then create the new ones. So far things were going smoothly and I was feeling quite proud of my technical literacy. Then everything changed when the fire nation attacked I tried to connect to the internet.

The Issue:
When I ran
Code: [Select]
#ping artixlinux.org
it did not work. After about 20 seconds I got the error "Temporary failure in name resolution" The same occurred with multiple other addresses. I tried all the debugging info I could find on the archwiki to no success. In spite of the fact that the wired connection had worked fine on my previous install, I figured that if wired connection was not working I could just use wlan. I followed the instructions on the archwiki and my network shows as connected, but I still can't ping anything. Once more I tried all the debugging info I could find, to no avail. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I am about ready to throw my laptop through a wall. Will gladly provide the output of any commands, but lmk if there is anything I should censor to protect my location.

Re: Failure to connect to internet. At my wits end.

Reply #1
I will begin manually transcribing the outputs of commands here. I feel like there has to be a better way, but I can't think of it.
fig.1 finding name
#ip link
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 94:e9:79:f7:88:f3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
fig.2 finding driver
#lspci -k
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 32)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 0827
Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
Kernel modules: ath10k_pci
fig.3 checking for driver
#dmesg | grep ath10k_pci
[       7.337094] ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: pci irq oper_irq_mode 2 irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[       7.655532] ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 target 0x05030000 chip_id 0x00340aff sub 17aa:0827
[       7.655536] ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: kconfig debug 1 debugfs 1 tracing 1 dfs 0 testmode 0
[       7.655532] ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: firmware ver WLAN.RM.4.4.1-00288- api 6 features wowlan,ignore-otp,mfp crc32 bf907c7c
[       7.655532] ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: board_file api 2 bmi_id N/A crc32 62812cba
[       7.655532] ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: htt-ver 3.87 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3 cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1
fig.4 disabled rfkill
#rfkill
ID TYPE DEVICE               SOFT      HARD
 0 wlan ideapad_wlan    unblocked unblocked
 3 wlan phy0            unblocked unblocked
fig.5 attempting connection to wpa network with wpa_supplicant
#wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c <(wpa_passphrase "..." "...")
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
n180211: kernel reports: Match already configured
... 23 identical reports ...
n180211: Could not set interface 'p2p-dev-wlan0' UP
p2p-dev-wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface
p2p-dev-wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-DSCP-POLICY clear_all
P2P: Failed to enable P2P Device interface
fig.6 attempting to address conflict of multiple network managers as described in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2006417#p2006417
#killall -v iwd dhcpcd dhcpcd@wlan0 wpa_supplicant networkmanager
killed wpa_supplicant(1664) with sigal 15
iwd: no process found
dhcpcd: no process found
dhcpcd@wlan0: no process found
networkmanager: no process found
#wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c <(wpa_passphrase "..." "...")
#ping -v artixlinux.org
ping: sock4.fd: 3 (socktype: SOCK_DGRAM), sock6.fd: 4 (socktype: SOCK_DGRAM) hints.ai_family: AF_UNSPEC

ping: artixlinux.org: Temporary failure in name resolution

Reply #2
Then everything changed when the fire nation attacked I tried to connect to the internet.
I liked the Last Airbender reference, so I'll give you a hint: the base installations are exactly what the name says. To get network connectivity you also need to either setup your interface manually or use a service/manager. The ISOs do these automagically for you, but in base nothing gets done unless you do it. So, if you insist doing it yourself, you'll have to also install either networkmanager or connmand and their respective -runit packages during installation (the basestrap stage). See the runit wiki entry for details on handling services.
I think you'd be better off if you kept the XFCE installation, it's just a step above base and contains packages and settings you'd install yourself anyway.

Reply #3
So, if you insist doing it yourself, you'll have to also install either networkmanager or connmand and their respective -runit packages during installation (the basestrap stage). See the runit wiki entry for details on handling services.

I want to learn how to do it from scratch, and how will I learn without trying? ;)

When I try to run basestrap, it seems like it gets stuck trying to sync the package databases over the network. Do I need to connect to the network for the packages that allow me to connect to the network?
Also, on https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Installation#Connect_to_the_Internet it says that a wired connection will be set up automatically. Is there a reason why my wired connection would also not work? additional steps not specified in the directions?

fig.7
#basestrap /mnt base base-devel runit elogind-runit
==> Creating install root at /mnt
   -> Installing packages to /mnt
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system
... at least 5 minutes later...
 system.db failed to download
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from mirror.clarkson.edu : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from ftp.ntua.gr : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from ftp.sh.cvut.cz : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from mirror.one.com : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from artix.cccp.io : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from ftp.crifo.org : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'system.db' from quantum-mirror.hu : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
... and many more ...

Reply #4
Going back to figure 6

It seems you may have had a connection but no DNS ?

Try the same again but ping an IP address eg
ping 1.1.1.1

If that works you need to add a nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf

Reply #5
sorry I didn't see your message sooner

fig.9
 #ping 1.1.1.1
ping: connect: Network is unreachable

contents of /etc/resolv.conf:
#generated by connection manager
nameserver ::1
nameserver 127.0.0.1

It seems to me that the issue is in fig.5 "failed to initialize driver interface", but from my rudimentary tests and understanding it seems like the driver is working properly (fig.2,3)

Reply #6
Did you do the
wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c <(wpa_passphrase "..." "...")
bit first ?

Also could you post both the ip link and dmesg output again but without truncating anything please.

Reply #7
To answer your first question, yes, and I killed and restarted it multiple times to try ping again, didn't work.

#iplink
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qluen 1000
     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
     link/ether fc:45:96:42:9b:9f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 94:e9:79:f7:88:f3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I am writing all this by hand so it takes me a little while. Do you need all of dmesg, or would something like #dmesg | grep wlan0 suffice? Alternatively, is there a way to load it off the computer without copying it by hand?

Reply #8
Don't write it by hand !!

I assumed that due to the output you'd already provided you had a way of copying it.
I feel bad for getting you to provide the the ip link output.

If you can mount a USB you can pipe the output of commands to a file on the USB eg

dmesg > /WHEREUSBMOUNTED/dmesg.txt

Reply #9
I've gone right back to the start of the thread

It's generally much easier to set up wired (eth0) manually than wifi.

Are you sure it was not just a DNS problem when you failed to get a ping with eth0

The resolv.conf you posted had 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver. That will not work unless you've specifically set up a DNS server on the machine. Try 1.1.1.1 just for now as a nameserver and try the wired connection again.

Reply #10
Occam's Razor

I just got home and plugged in my wired connection, turns out the other end wasn't plugged into the router.

Reply #11
We've all done similar at some point.

All's well that ends well.