Skip to main content
Topic: debuginfod.artixlinux.org isn't updated with the repository (valgrind) (Read 838 times) previous topic - next topic

debuginfod.artixlinux.org isn't updated with the repository (valgrind)

Hello

valgrind failed to start earlier because it lacked debug information.
I've noticed that my installed glibc package was 2.36-7, however on debuginfod.artixlinux.org that package has the version 2.36.6
My glibc package has been installed earlier today so it appears the debug packages are sightly lagging behind.

I've also tried to use the system-debug repository found in another thread on the forum and it's also at version 2.36-6

Re: debuginfod.artixlinux.org isn't updated with the repository (valgrind)

Reply #1
From what I gather, 2.36-7 doesn't have a -debug package.
commit
Code: [Select]
-	options=(debug staticlibs !lto)
+ options=(staticlibs !lto)

Now, I tried putting the debug back into it, but makepkg fails (with and without debug too).That was just /etc/makepkg.conf being out of date
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After mv /etc/makepkg.conf.pacnew /etc/makepkg.conf the package builds but fails on check due to resolv/tst-resolv-edns.
Building with --nocheck skips that and produces a glibc and glibc-debug package. And of course this doesn't build the lib32-glibc-debug package.

So in short, to build glibc-debug:
1. clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/pkgbuild/main.git
2. either edit glibc/x86_64/core/PKGBUILD options to include debug, or /etc/makepkg.conf from !debug to debug
3. makepkg --nocheck

Reply #2
From what I gather, 2.36-7 doesn't have a -debug package.
commit
Code: [Select]
-	options=(debug staticlibs !lto)
+ options=(staticlibs !lto)

Now, I tried putting the debug back into it, but makepkg fails (with and without debug too).That was just /etc/makepkg.conf being out of date
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After mv /etc/makepkg.conf.pacnew /etc/makepkg.conf the package builds but fails on check due to resolv/tst-resolv-edns.
Building with --nocheck skips that and produces a glibc and glibc-debug package. And of course this doesn't build the lib32-glibc-debug package.

So in short, to build glibc-debug:
1. clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/pkgbuild/main.git
2. either edit glibc/x86_64/core/PKGBUILD options to include debug, or /etc/makepkg.conf from !debug to debug
3. makepkg --nocheck
Thank you very much. I've followed your instructions and it worked.

I'm curious about the edns test failing. I'm guessing it's some name resolution that failed? In my first attempt all tests appeared to pass (I saw a bunch of them scroll, I didn't see the edns one specifically).
Ultimately that build failed because I was missing 'debugedit'. I presume it was for the packaging stage and that all the tests were done already.
For the second attempt, I didn't run the checks as it took quite a while.

Reply #3
Ultimately that build failed because I was missing 'debugedit'. I presume it was for the packaging stage and that all the tests were done already.
system/debugedit is part of base-devel, but must have been added somewhat recently.

I had to use both my compiled glibc and glibc-debug for valgrind to work again.

Reply #4
system/debugedit is part of base-devel, but must have been added somewhat recently.

I had to use both my compiled glibc and glibc-debug for valgrind to work again.
Yes, I assume that both need to be installed together. The slightest difference in the resulting binary is bound to break the tables.

Reply #5
So now you need to compile your own glibc to use valgrind? That doesn't sound right, but this is the only way I could find to get valgrind to work again :(

Reply #6
So now you need to compile your own glibc to use valgrind? That doesn't sound right, but this is the only way I could find to get valgrind to work again :(
Yes, and it has to be done for every update of the library.
I've created my own repo where I put the missing packages (*-runit, *-debug) so it goes relatively fine.
I'd rather have this done automatically from the repository of course.

I've tested several Arch distros a week ago and I still prefer Artix over every other one. (Second choice would be Arch but I still can't stand systemd)
One of the alternatives managed to self-destruct in a few hours.
Three of my work computers are now setup with Artix.