Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf" (Read 2314 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf"

Reply #15
Close  :)
That's a spoiler tag
Second from the left bottom row '#' is a code tag.

No need to post it again.

I'm guessing but it seems your database is messed up ?
lib32-libelf-0.188-1 should not be requiring libelf=0.189  ? At least not on my system.

Curious what this output would be ?
Code: [Select]
grep -H  libelf= /var/lib/pacman/local/lib32-libelf*/desc

Reply #16
Close  :)
That's a spoiler tag
Second from the left bottom row '#' is a code tag.

No need to post it again.

I'm guessing but it seems your database is messed up ?
lib32-libelf-0.188-1 should not be requiring libelf=0.189  ? At least not on my system.

Curious what this output would be ?
grep -H  libelf= /var/lib/pacman/local/lib32-libelf*/desc

[sosse@sossart ~]$ grep -H libelf= /var/lib/pacman/local/lib32-libelf*/desc
/var/lib/pacman/local/lib32-libelf-0.188-1/desc:libelf=0.188
[sosse@sossart ~]$

Reply #17
Sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees! But then you did choose hard to read methods to post  ;)
lib32-gremlins is up to date
disable (comment out) lib32-gremlins in /etc/pacman.conf
*-gremlins is the Artix form of testing
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories#Testing

Never enable *-testing or *-gremlins unless you absolutely know what you are doing and how to fix breakage. Hint: You don't yet.
If you really wanted to you'd need them all enabled or things will break guaranteed.

Reply #18
Sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees! But then you did choose hard to read methods to post  ;)
lib32-gremlins is up to date
disable (comment out) lib32-gremlins in /etc/pacman.conf
*-gremlins is the Artix form of testing
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories#Testing

Never enable *-testing or *-gremlins unless you absolutely know what you are doing and how to fix breakage. Hint: You don't yet.
If you really wanted to you'd need them all enabled or things will break guaranteed.
Works. omg. Thank yo so much! But why will it break?

Reply #19
Did you read the link ?
Testing

Warning! testing is what the name asserts: testing. In Artix, these packages go through the gremlins repositories for a period of time. Only enable these if you are an experienced user and know how to deal with system breakage.

Glad you sorted it  :)  Annoyed I missed it for so long :(

Re: [SOLVED] warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf"

Reply #20
I'm running into the same issue, but I don't have multi-lib or gremlins enabled. Here's some outputs requested by @gripped:

sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system                                265.4 KiB   238 KiB/s 00:01 [####################################] 100%
 world                                   2.0 MiB  2.92 MiB/s 00:01 [####################################] 100%
 galaxy                                  2.7 MiB  6.94 MiB/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
 universe                              206.7 KiB   437 KiB/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
 omniverse                             205.6 KiB   200 KiB/s 00:01 [####################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libelf (0.189-1) breaks dependency 'libelf=0.188' required by lib32-libelf

pacman -Qi lib32-libelf
Name            : lib32-libelf
Version         : 0.188-1
Description     : Handle ELF object files and DWARF debugging information (libraries) (32-bit)
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://sourceware.org/elfutils/
Licenses        : LGPL3  GPL3
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : lib32-bzip2  lib32-curl  lib32-gcc-libs  lib32-xz  lib32-zlib  lib32-zstd  libelf=0.188
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : lib32-mesa-vdpau  lib32-vulkan-radeon
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 2.43 MiB
Packager        : Artix Build Bot <[email protected]>
Build Date      : Wed 30 Nov 2022 04:47:01 PM MST
Install Date    : Tue 14 Feb 2023 09:01:20 PM MST
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

I tried to find lib32-libelf in pacman cache and couldn't find anything.

Re: [SOLVED] warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf"

Reply #21
You should be on lib32-libelf 0.189-1 ?
It's been built since 03.03.

I'm not sure why pacman can't work this all out for itself ?

Try
sudo pacman -S lib32-libelf libelf
Post the full output.

Reply #22
My thoughts as well. What's weird is I don't have any exotic config here, and even waited for it to catch up.

~$ sudo pacman -S lib32-libelf libelf
error: target not found: lib32-libelf

Reply #23
Don't know what it is about this thread.
Can't see the wood for the trees again!
You are missing lib32 repo enabled in /etc/pacman.conf

There's another thread
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5266.0.html
Where it seem that on a new install some lib32 packages were included in the iso but (I'm guessing) lib32 is not enabled automatically ?

Is this a new install ?

Are you aware that you need any lib32 packages ?

Reply #24
OK I think I got it to work. I am unaware of needing any lib32 packages. I checked -Qi and it said libelf32 was required by lib32-mesa-vdpau lib32-vulkan-radeon. I tried to uninstall this, pacman had me uninstall a bunch of lib32 packages. I am not a gamer and have a fresh backup so I said yolo and uninstalled them. just did a full update and everything looks fine. Thanks Gripped!

Reply #25
Don't know what it is about this thread.
Can't see the wood for the trees again!
You are missing lib32 repo enabled in /etc/pacman.conf

There's another thread
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5266.0.html
Where it seem that on a new install some lib32 packages were included in the iso but (I'm guessing) lib32 is not enabled automatically ?

Is this a new install ?

Are you aware that you need any lib32 packages ?

Not OP, but I'm experiencing this issue too. This is a brand new install I'm testing in a VM.

I'm not aware of any lib32 packages that I need. I've been installing relatively few packages and none of them had issues when they were installed. I also successfully ran pacman -Syu a few times before this.

It was not until today that I got this lib32 issue.

I can't say for sure what packages introduced this issue, but I can tell you the two packages I recently installed are:

gnome-themes-extra
gtk-engine-murrine

I hope that doesn't send anyone on a goose chase, but I've done almost nothing in this VM aside from poke around with themes.

Reply #26
I can't say for sure what packages introduced this issue, but I can tell you the two packages I recently installed are:
The issue was lurking since you installed the iso.
Explanation from the man himself https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5266.msg33634.html#msg33634

You should be fine to uninstall any lib32 packages.
pacman won't let you uninstall them if they are actually needed.
If you need any further explanation or help just ask here.

Reply #27
The issue was lurking since you installed the iso.
Explanation from the man himself https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5266.msg33634.html#msg33634

You should be fine to uninstall any lib32 packages.
pacman won't let you uninstall them if they are actually needed.
If you need any further explanation or help just ask here.

Thanks! Makes sense to me. Good to know I can remove those if I want, but personally, I'd prefer to just enable the lib32 repo. Doing so seems to make pacman happy immediately.

If anyone wants to do that for themselves (such as everyone coming in from Google, like me!), here's a quick little oneliner for you:

sed -i '/\[lib32\]/,/^$/ s/^#//' /etc/pacman.conf

Reply #28
If anyone wants to do that for themselves (such as everyone coming in from Google, like me!), here's a quick little oneliner for you:

sed -i '/\[lib32\]/,/^$/ s/^#//' /etc/pacman.conf

Welcome to the forum.
Someone with sed skills.

I can guarantee it would have taken me 100 times longer (or more) to come up with that line than it would to for me to edit out the two comments! I've used sed in the past for things but the knowledge just won't stick in my head. Every-time I'm studying cheat sheets and a lot of trial and error. Practice makes perfect I suppose.

And yeah no harm enabling lib32.