Skip to main content
Topic: Graphical ISOs fail to start a display manager due to newer NVIDA drivers. (Read 260 times) previous topic - next topic

Graphical ISOs fail to start a display manager due to newer NVIDA drivers.

Hello Artix Community!

Recently I have built a new system, which has an older GPU. When trying to boot an Artix ISO with a display manager pre-installed, it fails to start a graphical session, and pops the user to a shell. After some debugging, I have narrowed the issue down to the Nvidia driver, which comes pre-installed with the ISO. The Nvidia gpu driver, after version 500.xx appears to not enable older gpus, as these gpus are legacy according to this Nvidia page.

Official images that I have tried:
Code: [Select]
artix-xfce-dinit-20230401-x86_64.iso
artix-xfce-openrc-20230401-x86_64.iso
artix-lxqt-dinit-20230401-x86_64.iso

GPU:
Code: [Select]
Nvidia GeForce 210

In dmesg the Nvidia driver mentions installing legacy drivers (340xx) for the installed card.

Ending thoughts:
I have searched the internet for this specific issue, and I found that it's possible to just install the legacy drivers, and move on. However, on a live media, to my understaing, the only way I could do this is with persistent storage, or by creating my own ISO file with the correct drivers. The reason I created this post, is to make the developers aware, that currently installing artix on systems with older gpus may require a bit of thinkering with the system. Also, I totally understand if this intended, as supporting legacy software, or hardware usually isn't good practice.

Thank you for reading, and looking forward all replies.

Re: Graphical ISOs fail to start a display manager due to newer NVIDA drivers.

Reply #1
Ensuring a complete boot sequence of our live ISO into Xorg (even with xf86-video-vesa) is more important than supporting the latest NVIDIA cards at older hardware's expense. On the other hand, I'm reading that the open-source drivers don't support very recent GPUs (especially NVIDIA's), also causing drop-to-console situations.
Normally, Xorg should be able to fallback to the best available alternative provided by the live ISO; can you post the contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log? It may shed some light on the issue.