Skip to main content
Topic: Questions about nvme drives in pci3 adapter slots x4 lanes pci slot (Read 911 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [SOLVED] Questions about nvme drives in pci3 adapter slots x4 lanes pci slot

Reply #15
I didn't know the Artix forum offers a home help service as well!  ;D  Although the BIOS manual does give a clue: "note: For Windows 8 systems with Fast Boot support, a normal shutdown goes to the S4 state, not the S5 state"
it doesn't exactly say turn off fast boot in Windows (not in the BIOS) settings. Also as the Tom's Hardware people said the Windows fast boot option skips the bit where the UEFI boot order is read and goes directly to Windows, so it looks like no multi boot settings would work while that is on, until that was corrected nothing else would have any effect on the situation.

Re: [SOLVED] Questions about nvme drives in pci3 adapter slots x4 lanes pci slot

Reply #16
Clearly the post telling me to rtfm is inappropriate.  They are either not understanding the problem or simply can't understand the problem.  Who is that making such a post?

@lq if you have nothing useful to offer, you might be better off saying nothing.

So you think a BIOS manual for YOUR HARDWARE is useless?
In your opinion, I should write what's in it again here in the forum because you're too lazy to read it yourself?

Do you have any other wishes?
Can I come to your place, do your laundry, cook for you and clean your place, because maybe you don't want to do that either?

regardless of what the manual says or doesn't say, your bad attitude tells me everything i need to know:

please go troll somewhere else. 

have a nice day.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #17
I didn't know the Artix forum offers a home help service as well!  ;D  Although the BIOS manual does give a clue: "note: For Windows 8 systems with Fast Boot support, a normal shutdown goes to the S4 state, not the S5 state"
it doesn't exactly say turn off fast boot in Windows (not in the BIOS) settings. Also as the Tom's Hardware people said the Windows fast boot option skips the bit where the UEFI boot order is read and goes directly to Windows, so it looks like no multi boot settings would work while that is on, until that was corrected nothing else would have any effect on the situation.
i wouldnt knwo the difference between an s4 and an s5 state to save my life.  anything on toims hardware mention fastboot other than my post would likely have been edited after the fact.  i saw no posts there mention fast boot.
As far as artix home services go: i'm happy to come there and pet your cats :)

in any case the problem still persists intermittently...  but seems to happen when i boot into windows 2x.  the first time i can still get grub but the secons time is a no go so probably if i biot into artix after leaving windows for any reason, i might be ok.  I'll be looking at those uefi editors next i suppose.

Toms HArdware is a mess.  I report a problem and people want to argue with me to tell me the problem i report isn't happening and then when i have a solution i got different other people telling me that's not a solution.  pit of trolls.

IN any case i am looking at your links now to see if there is a remedy for what seems like a more intermittent problem now that the first thing is done correctly.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #18
"Fast boot doesn't change your boot order, it skips some of the boot up process which includes the loading of the boot menu. "
That was some helpful info I thought, although added after you found the solution from the Arch wiki pages. So having fixed the fast boot setting in Windows, now the UEFI boot order thing is probably the new issue, a new layer to resolve. lq has been around on here a fair while and puts in some good comments, best not start a "troll hunt" as the more people on here the better chance someone can answer the various questions that arise, after all, you aren't consulting the Oracle of Delphi just a bunch of enthusiasts sharing their experience mostly. Using Windows often leads to people becoming frustrated and irate I have observed.  :D

Reply #19
https://pastebin.com/y7GZPzzq

ok so that's step one.  my head swims from all the numbers.

this is the drive listed in that where artix is installed :

Code: [Select]
Firmware Application (101fffff)                                                                                         
-------------------------------                                                                                        
identifier              {6123f06a-e944-11ed-9e6c-806e6f6e6963}                                                         
description             WD_BLACK SN770 500GB-22115Z801531    

and further down it has a grub listing:

Firmware Application (101fffff)                                                                                         
-------------------------------                                                                                        
identifier             {6123f070-e944-11ed-9e6c-806e6f6e6963}                                
device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume8                                                              
path                    \EFI\grub\grubx64.efi                                                                          
description             grub  

and so the last entry on his site :

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44919190/windows-equivalent-to-efibootmgr

If a Linux boot loader is already configured, the sequence can be changed with bcdedit /enum firmware should list it. Imporant is only the GUID of the boot loader object listed with the Linux boot loader, i.e. a string looking like {01234567-89AB-CDEF-0123-456789ABCDEF}, and replace {<GUID>} in the following examples with your actual GUID.

Any firmware boot loader can be set as the default EFI boot option with bcdedit /set {fwbootmgr} default {<GUID>}.

but the problem i have is that that number is repeated most of the way down the page the guid  {6123f070-e944-11ed-9e6c-806e6f6e6963}   and it seems associated with more devices than just my linux install nvme or the grub lines.  It doesn't look unique to me.  and if i ran:

bcdedit /set {fwbootmgr} default {6123f070-e944-11ed-9e6c-806e6f6e6963}

which is what i understand, i'm not sure i wouldn't harm my system.

and in any case, feral cats are outside waiting to be fed....
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #20
Perhaps try # blkid in Artix to get the uuid of your Artix efi boot partition, would that help identify the right one? Usually you have more than one efi stub loader in your efi partition. You can probably boot an Artix iso and use that to recover if it doesn't boot after this.