Skip to main content
Topic: Artixlinux is Cool (Read 332 times) previous topic - next topic

Artixlinux is Cool

i want everyone to know that i successfully installed Artixlinux using init system S6 on an empty hardidsk drive without using grub or any other bootloader. what i did use to accomplish this was    efibootmgr  which talks directly to the hardware firmware on my motherboard. The installation process was done entirely from the console without an installer.

(noteably: i have long since stopped duel booting linux with windows as i found it unnecessarily risky to do so.)

(note2: the efibootmgr command line issued to my firmware seems to get overwritten or something like that when i unplug my hard disk to use another hard drive.)
(note2 contd: to restore functionality i must reenter the efibootmgr command. this is done by)
(note2 contd: using the artix base s6 installer burned to DVD ... i need to mount my entire system on the hardrive swapon and artix-chroot /mnt and enter my ifibootmgr command line again then exit artix-chroot umount /mnt/boot umount /mnt swapoff /dev/sda2 AND)
(note2 contd: reboot and remove installer dvd.  system is back . )

my Artixlinux system is minimal. i have used it to play sound files and display on my openbox based windowed desktop auto displays 2 webcam images side by side. also firefox and internet connection. and a few of my favorite tweek configurations files i used on archlinux i also used on Artix successfully.

on my Archlinux system which obviously uses systemd i booted the linux stub created by systemd software tools like bootctl --path=boot install which creates 2 identical bootstubs and a place to place aconfig file for  telling linux how to boot system.

I am pleased that Artixlinux is about as cool as Archlinux but without systemd.

Yes Artixlinux is Cool.
systemd  should not be the only init system out there.  AND ...