Skip to main content
Topic: Intel X540-AT2 not working (Read 1166 times) previous topic - next topic

Intel X540-AT2 not working

Hi, i gave my best but still not working, need help.

Here my Hardware by Linux-Hardware.org
Ethernet hardware:
Code: [Select]
lspci | grep Ethernet
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
41:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01)
41:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01)
Drivers apparently installed and running:
~% sudo modprobe ixgbe && sudo dmesg | grep ixgbe
[    5.113705] ixgbe: Intel(R) 10 Gigabit PCI Express Network Driver
[    5.113709] ixgbe: Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Intel Corporation.
[    5.388865] ixgbe 0000:41:00.0: Multiqueue Enabled: Rx Queue count = 16, Tx Queue count = 16 XDP Queue count = 0
[    5.470120] ixgbe 0000:41:00.0: 32.000 Gb/s available PCIe bandwidth (5.0 GT/s PCIe x8 link)
[    5.565047] ixgbe 0000:41:00.0: MAC: 3, PHY: 0, PBA No: G50137-002
[    5.565049] ixgbe 0000:41:00.0: a0:36:9f:2d:13:d0
[    5.708187] ixgbe 0000:41:00.0: Intel(R) 10 Gigabit Network Connection
[    5.976163] ixgbe 0000:41:00.1: Multiqueue Enabled: Rx Queue count = 16, Tx Queue count = 16 XDP Queue count = 0
[    6.058223] ixgbe 0000:41:00.1: 32.000 Gb/s available PCIe bandwidth (5.0 GT/s PCIe x8 link)
[    6.151326] ixgbe 0000:41:00.1: MAC: 3, PHY: 0, PBA No: G50137-002
[    6.151329] ixgbe 0000:41:00.1: a0:36:9f:2d:13:d2
[    6.293453] ixgbe 0000:41:00.1: Intel(R) 10 Gigabit Network Connection
[   27.831860] ixgbe 0000:41:00.0: registered PHC device on eth1
[   28.042146] ixgbe 0000:41:00.1: registered PHC device on eth2
[   46.145312] ixgbe 0000:41:00.1 eth2: NIC Link is Up 1 Gbps, Flow Control: RX/TX
[   46.321441] ixgbe 0000:41:00.1 eth2: NIC Link is Down
Apparently before 3 weeks is a new kernel-driver for it.
 i not yet found a step-by-step guide to install and/or upgrade drivers and test functionality.

Symptoms:
  • Computer take to long to POST
  • Before POST anythings else appear an Intel-Menu (CTRL=S) to set up WoL enable/disable for 540-AT2
  • If on Board NIC is disabled in BIOS/UEFI no network-connection at all
  • If on Board NIC is enabled and the PC is started with them, i can switch the cable to 540=AT2, maintain connection for few time before interrupt the same
  • After starting with on board NIC, if i switch cable between the two 540-AT2 ports, the connection is interrupt immediately
  • In the Fritz.Box have all three connections fix ip-addresses: eth0=20, eth1=24 & eth2=25
Questions:
  • Can i disable PXE of 540-AT2 even if my motherboard have UEFI? and how to, possibly step-by-step?
  • How to set up the best driver and configure (step-by-step) in Artix-Linux-Plasma OpenRC?
  • If i don't have a second device to test the 10G, can i connect the two ports each-other to check it? How is the command for that?

Thanks you all in advance for any help.

Re: Intel X540-AT2 not working

Reply #1
Is that a dedicated board or integrated in motherboard, i can't find details about it.
Apparently before 3 weeks is a new kernel-driver for it.
That's the thing, because it will need to be merged in the kernel, which takes weeks, you can of course hurry that up by making your own kernel with it as a patch.
Can i disable PXE of 540-AT2 even if my motherboard have UEFI? and how to, possibly step-by-step?
Heavily proprietary, but shouldn't be causing your issue anyway.
If i don't have a second device to test the 10G, can i connect the two ports each-other to check it? How is the command for that?
If it has 2.5g compatibility there is cheap hardware you can buy already nope, it's 10g only and a server card. i'm afraid you'll be better off asking somewhere else about support for this, it was made for servers and they play by different rules.

Reply #2
Thanks @Hitman for you answer,

well, I research the whole inet to find how to switch-off PXE but without results because Intel push to much this PXE.
The "problem" is NVidia has bought Mellanox and Intel with the intention to keep the market shares or even to win some... push as much as possible this PXE.

Many Intel-customer like e.g. HP integrate a BIOS-function to enable or disable PXE in their server-motherboards, laptops, practically anywhere. My bad luck is, I have an AMD CPU and even though the MSI-X399 can very well also be used as a server board... does not have this feature in BIOS.

The solution for PXE on AMD-motherboard is:
  • Disable WOL (Wake on LAN).
  • Disable NIC-ports in the Boot-section of the board or slide them at end of the list of booting-devices
So, I can live with these settings of the PXE and consider this to be done.

What is still open is the loss or obtaining or generating of complete fantasy ip addresses on the part of the "new" NIC only.
eth1:
eth2
Looking in the inet to set in the OS a fix ip-adresse, found some threads (and Arch-Wiki) talking about `/etc/dhcpcd.conf`, well, at this point I got curious and I have searched a `dhcp` in the "OpenRC" and there I have the service `dhcpcd` which was stopped.
  • Detect if a service `dhcpcd ` is listed:
    # rc-status --servicelist -s | sort -n
    dhcpcd                                                            [  stopped  ]
  • So, I start and debug it to see if is working well:
    # rc-service --debug dhcpcd start
    no error-message apeared.
  • I check again if all went well with:
    # rc-status --servicelist -s | sort -n
    dhcpcd                                                [  started 00:00:36 (0) ]
  • As I try to stop the service before to enable the same got I an error that the service cannot be stopped  cause of missing "Runlevel" or is not added too:
    # rc-status dhcpcd stop
     * runlevel `dhcpcd' does not exist
     * runlevel `stop' does not exist
  • Checked the Runlevel and getting results:
    # rc-status -v
    Dynamic Runlevel: manual
     dhcpcd                                                                                                                                                                                  [  started 00:31:20 (0) ]
     openrc-settingsd
  • So I decided to add the service to `default` like Bluetooth:
    # rc-update add dhcpcd default
     * service dhcpcd added to runlevel default
  • Check if service is added to the right "Runlevel":
    # rc-status -v
    Runlevel: default
     dhcpcd                                                                                                                                                                                  [  started 00:33:04 (0) ]

After all this, I put the RJ-45 cable in the "new" NIC and switch immediately to the in the router assigned fix-ip.

I have now a little questions:
  • Who switch the `hcpcd`-service off? The installation of `connman connman-openrc cmst`?
  • Now that I set the service to default, will remain like this or will be switsched again off?
  • Could someone propose a script to check if this service is started by default or to start it later or to set a "variable" in `/etc/environment` for that?

Thanks all the people in advance helping me to solve the topic.

Reply #3
Disable WOL (Wake on LAN).
Hehe, that always works to turn off the network related stuff. But probably no. 2 solved it as it boots first from disk and thus doesn't get to call the pxe.

I assume you connected the card in only the 1gbit mode.

Who switch the `hcpcd`-service off? The installation of `connman connman-openrc cmst`?
A service that requires another service will of course switch it on, even if disabled, but to switch off you have to do it manually (only if it conflicts, otherwise it's ok regardless).
Now that I set the service to default, will remain like this or will be switsched again off?
Should remain like this.
Could someone propose a script to check if this service is started by default or to start it later or to set a "variable" in `/etc/environment` for that?
You can easily 'grep' for it in command 'rc-update', but i don't think you will need to.

If your connection is normal just use dhcpcd for now.

Reply #4
Thanks again,

I think, I found the error, the internal DHCP-client of  ConnMan is not working (see here in the Arch-Linux-Wiki).

Now, I installed `connman` without to disable any other NetworkManager and maybe was worng but I also don't read the wiki bevore, because:
If I disable one networkmanager before install the other, I cannot have a networkconnection and by the way, the wiki instruction are not clear at all.