Skip to main content
Topic: I accidentally deleted /run/runit/service/ and now I'm trying to fix it (Read 484 times) previous topic - next topic

I accidentally deleted /run/runit/service/ and now I'm trying to fix it

So I wanted to remove one of the links inside /run/runit/service/, except I hit enter too soon...

After I did that, I immediately remade a folder /run/runit/serveice/ and then agetty-tty1 crashed (not surprising). After manually powering off the computer and restarting, everything seems to still work! /run/runit/serveice/ was still there with all of links that should be there (including the one I was intending to remove).

Only issue I'm finding so far is when switching from another tty back to tty1, the screen doesn't show correctly. The x-server on tty1 is still running, i3 is still running, I can use the mouse and keyboard to interact, but the display is black and only shows my mouse. Any ideas what is causing this behavior and how to fix it? Obviously something is likely messed up from removing the service folder, but I'm not sure how to reset/correct it.

EDIT 1: This only appears to happen with tty1. I logged into tty2 and ran startx and was able to switch back and forth from tty2 and tty3 without an issue.
EDIT 2: Ignore Edit 1, the "blank screen just cursor" behavior appears to inconsistently occur with any tty.

Re: I accidentally deleted /run/runit/service/ and now I'm trying to fix it

Reply #1
The easiest way to fix is simply reboot, since /run is a tmpfs created on boot up.

Reply #2
Hi thanks for the advice. I powered off and restarted but the problem persisted. Any other ideas?

Reply #3
As artoo said, just restarting your computer fixes your issue.
What you are experiencing doesn't look like a service manager/init system issue.

Reply #4
Hmm ok, thank you. I did restart and the issue persisted. I'm not sure if the issue starting was just coincidental with my accidental deletion of /run/runit/service/ or if something unrelated broke because of it. I'll have to keep looking.