Skip to main content
Topic: Xauth file randomly deleted when using dinit sddm service (Read 223 times) previous topic - next topic

Xauth file randomly deleted when using dinit sddm service

I made a fresh install of Artix and I wanted to try dinit. I'm using sddm which defaults the Xauth cookie to the /tmp folder.
Sometimes, and this seems to happen randomly after logging in for a few minutes, I can't start programs anymore. I can only use what is already opened. This is happening because everything in the /tmp folder gets deleted, and this includes the Xauth cookie, therefore I get the following error when starting something:
Code: [Select]
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified
Reloading the sddm service fixes this. The sddm logs don't reveal anything in particular, no errors are pointed out.

This is happening on both a real machine and on a virtual machine with the same configuration. I reinstalled the system again with s6 (same configuration, same everything, except for the init), which is the init I was using before, and this doesn't happen, which makes me think the problem could be in dinit.

Re: Xauth file randomly deleted when using dinit sddm service

Reply #1
Have you made sure that it's the sddm service which empties /tmp?
Try with another session manager for a while.
LE: Enable gremlins repositories and update, some packages might be to your interest were updated yesterday: dinit-rc, dbus-dinit, elogind-dinit

Reply #2
I tried with lightdm multiple times, and the /tmp folder has not emptied out. I can't be 100% sure that the culprit is the sddm service, as this happens randomly (maybe I was just lucky with lighdtm).

I've now updated the system with the gremlins repositories and, at the moment, everything seems okay and the /tmp folder is fine. I'll keep the thread updated if it happens again.

Reply #3
Do you have a partition with 90% of its space used or more? Pls post the output of 'df -h'.

artist

Reply #4
Not on the device I use for the system (/dev/sda):

Code: [Select]
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev                   7,8G     0  7,8G   0% /dev
run                   7,8G  1,1M  7,8G   1% /run
efivarfs              128K  127K     0 100% /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
/dev/mapper/vg1-root   50G   12G   39G  24% /
shm                   7,8G     0  7,8G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 7,8G   14M  7,8G   1% /tmp
cgroup_root            10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/vg1-home  416G  100G  315G  24% /home
/dev/sda1             549M  211M  339M  39% /boot
/dev/sdb              3,6T  1,8T  1,7T  52% /mnt/385a4fee-1f44-4433-995a-3b1ffe92fc3f
/dev/sdc              1,8T  1,7T   23G  99% /mnt/bc4fd1af-d37a-431c-854f-d8624c8f1f66
tmpfs                 1,6G  8,0K  1,6G   1% /run/user/1000

EDIT: I had the problem again even with the latest packages from gremlins.

EDIT2: Another thing I've noticed is that if the problem doesn't happen after logging in for a few minutes, it doesn't happen afterwards.