Skip to main content
Topic: plasmashell not starting (Read 164 times) previous topic - next topic

plasmashell not starting

Did the upgrade to plasma 6.2, plasmashell didn't  start. Starting from terminal got me this:
Code: [Select]
plasmashell: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libLayerShellQtInterface.so.6: undefined symbol: _ZN15QtWaylandClient14QWaylandWindow9wlSurfaceEv, version Qt_6_PRIVATE_API

Re: plasmashell not starting

Reply #1
I think it's a bug in Qt this also happened to me after the 6.8.0 update. Luckily I still had the previous 6.7.3 version of the qt6 packages, did a downgrade, rebooted and it's working fine.

I hope someone has already reported it and that the Qt devs fix it in the next update.

EDIT: You should downgrade every qt6 related package if you can. Sorry for the bad advice. Also, the morphing tooltips effect (or whatever it's called) isn't working, that's the only weird thing I got after downgrading.

Reply #2
Thanks! That worked.
pacman -Q | grep ^qt6- | cut -d ' ' -f 1
lists all needed packages, which you can then find with the correct versions in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and do
sudo pacman -U filename
Or if you have downgrade from AUR, you can do
sudo downgrade `pacman -Q | grep ^qt6- | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
and write 6.7.3 repeatedly, until it finishes

Reply #3
 hi,
same here this morning.
sddm screen frozen with X11,, or black screen with wayland.
i started by the obvious, downgrading the kernel to 6.11.2 and nvidia drivers  :P  but no luck
thanks for the suggestion, i downgraded all qt6 packages (to version 6.7.3xxx instead of 6.8xx), and it works again :)

Reply #4
Same issue. Sadly I deleted my pacman cache while trying to downgade via the archive, only to see that the archive is broken and 404s when requesting qt6-tools (and possibly others) :\

Any other way I can downgrade? Or maybe fixed packages are already in the testing repos so I can try them out?

Reply #5
Yep, after upgrading with the gremlins repos the k* suite of packages is updated to fix the issue.

Reply #6
Some pkgs are still in the build queue for gremlins. Once all are done they will be moved to stable/world.

artist

Reply #8
having issues with plasma aswell, i can use applications (that happen to start on login) but my desktop is black and i cant really do anything, tried downgrading, rebooted, same issue   https://pastebin.com/Damm4K9T most recent system upgrade