Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Nvidia 550.90.07 problems (Read 560 times) previous topic - next topic

Nvidia 550.90.07 problems

I haven't seen much about this but after switching between the current and the previous nvidia dkms releases to make sure, I found that the current new driver leads to stuttering playback in Chrome, Qutebrowser refuses to render at all and Steam hangs indefinitely with the generic "X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)" error.
For me this occurs with both with the 6.9.6 artix and the 6.6.32-1-lts Kernels.
Interestingly unlike https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,7008.0.html mpv works just fine without complains. Has anybody else experiences these regressions?

Re: Nvidia 550.90.07 problems

Reply #1
Has anybody else experiences these regressions?
Not those exactly but I have experienced issues at times with kernel and nvidia-dkms combo's.
Here's what I do:
I have
IgnorePkg  =  lib32-nvidia-utils nvidia-dkms  nvidia-utils nvidia-settings opencl-nvidia linux linux-headers
In /etc/pacman.conf
On system upgrades you get told if any of the ignored packages have updates.
I update my kernel infrequently. Often only when there a full set of nvidia updates which are a major version update.
When I decide to update I clone my entire rootfs to another partition before I do so, so that I can easily revert if there are oddities. It should also be enough to just make sure you have copies of all the current nvidia & kernel packages before you do the update.
To update the ignored packages you have to explicately pass them to pacman:
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -Syu lib32-nvidia-utils nvidia-dkms  nvidia-utils nvidia-settings opencl-nvidia linux linux-headers

Also make sure you only use the nvidia packages from Artix. At one time it didn't seem to matter if you used the Arch one's or the the Artix ones. Now, for me at least, the Arch ones do not work well, or at all, with the Artix kernel even with nvidia-dkms.

I just prefer to update these packages at the time of my choosing and holding back the kernel & nvidia doesn't effect other packages like holding back many packages could due to libraries etc

Reply #2
The newer 555.58 is in world and lib32 gremlins if you want to test it. Though it is the beta version from nvidia, though surprised arch updated it like it is the current stable. But none the less, it is what I am currently using and it works with wayland fine. The stable version, wayland didn't work good, atleast with gaming+wayland, but beta is perfect.

Reply #3
I have problems when hibernating/suspending with nvidia-dkms-555.58.02-1.1.

Reply #4
I have problems when hibernating/suspending with nvidia-dkms-555.58.02-1.1.
Sorry I don't use suspend or hibernate since I have a desktop PC. I will look at the suspend script

Reply #5
Sorry looks like it was the hard disk cable the problem, better check if somebody else has this problem.