Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot launch any wayland window manager (Read 368 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot launch any wayland window manager

Hello guys,

Asking for some help after tweaking a lot ;-)

I'm a long time Alpine user, currently writing from Chimera.

For my workstation I needed a glibc-based, systemd-free, fast and up-to-date distro with many packages. Artix is a natural choice here.

Installation with an encrypted partition was a breeze. After that I installed the river tiling window manager - and it worked.

After installing some other window managers for testing purposes and/or(?) after a system update the window managers eather don't start (sway, niri), or they start but don't open any windows (river, hyprland).

Here's a few words on my setup, on the behavior of the hyprland window manager and its error message.

## Setup

dinit, seatd, dbus, wayland, xorg-xwayland, hyprland, pipewire.

I'm a members of the "seat" group (also: wheel, audio, video, input).

## Behavior of hyprland window manager

Hyprland was chosen for this topic because it launches, it's in Alpine world and widely used.

Hyprland launches and the mouse pointer is visible and reactive. But it is not possible to open any windows, and the status bar (waybar) doesn't open either.

Yet, programs seem to launch in the background and I have to pkill them (race condition?).

## What did I try to resolve this

Everything ;-)  Many, many tips from these forums, reddit and SO, for example:

I (forcefully) removed all window managers/wayland compositors, wayland, wlroots and reinstalled hyprland.

Switched to elogind + polkit (from seatd). Now back on seatd which is launched as a service. Seatd has always worked better for me on Alpine.

Also, I tested mesa, intel drivers, vulkan etc. But I am not very familiar with these. As hyprland launches, this doesn't seem to be the problem.

Launched hyprland itself or using `dbus-run-session Hyprland` (with an `XDG_RUNTIME_DIR` variable).

Compiled the window managers from the AUR repository.

Used `LIBSEAT_BACKEND=...`

USED `WLR_RENDERER=vulkan`

There's probably just a combination of tiny steps missing. But I just cannot find out because I've never experienced any problems of this kind. Your help is highly appreciatiated.

Despite this problem I am very impressed by Artix. It's extremely fast and light on my resources.

Thank you so much in advance!

Code: [Select]
[libseat] [libseat/backend/logind.c:317] Could not activate session: Permission denied
[libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:79] No backend was able to open a seat
[backend/session/session.c:83] Unable to create seat: Function not implemented
[backend/session/session.c:248] Failed to load session backend
[backend/backend.c:79] Failed to start a session
[backend/backend.c:407] Failed to start a DRM session
[CRITICAL] m_sWLRBackend was NULL! This usually means wlroots could not find a GPU or enountered some issues.
[CRITICAL] Critical error thrown: wlr_backend_autocreate() failed!

Re: Cannot launch any wayland window manager

Reply #1
Create a test user account and see if it works for that. If it does, it's something in your local configs.